"The Coming Crunch for Law Schools" by a WUSTL Law Professor Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
javancho

New

"The Coming Crunch for Law Schools" by a WUSTL Law Professor

Post by javancho » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:16 pm

"The Coming Crunch for Law Schools" by Brian Tamanaha, Professor of Law at Washington University in St. Louis.

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2011/06/comi ... hools.html

Z3RO

Silver

Re: "The Coming Crunch for Law Schools" by a WUSTL Law Professor

Post by Z3RO » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:27 pm

Wait, so they want to pay for a higher faculty:student ratio by adding more students?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:50 pm

1,583 people said yes to Cooley? :shock:

javancho

New

Post by javancho » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:58 pm

sd5289 wrote:1,583 people said yes to Cooley? :shock:
I think Cooley is the largest law school in the US, by enrollment. They are just milking the student loan system.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Agree with javancho that that law school is just milking the easy money student loan system. If subject to discharge in bankruptcy, lenders would demand more assurance of liklihood of repayment before lending. This would lead to fewer law schools, fewer law students & lower tuition more in line with a law school graduate's ability to repay. Apparently lenders & the US government learned little from the recent real estate bust fueled by easy money.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:02 pm

I just went onto their website for giggles (okay fine, I wanted to see what their 25-75 range is because I've never met anyone who's scored lower than a 155) and it screams scam.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:04 pm

New York Law School took in 641, John Marshall (Chicago) enrolled 539, and Suffolk enrolled 531. (Let's not talk about the 808 first year students taken by Florida Coastal and 1,583 by Cooley.)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy Christ, how are there 500+ people each year willing to go to Suffolk and John Marshall (and 800+ (!!!!!!) at Florida Coastal)?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:05 pm

But you've probably voted for many who scored lower than that---many of whom were running for local judicial posts.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Damn. I knew TTTs were big, but that's incredible. How much slimmer would the gap between the number of grads and the number of jobs be if these schools didn't exist :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:11 pm

John Marshal pumps out more grads than NW and Uchi combined. Holy shit.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:John Marshal pumps out more grads than NW and Uchi combined. Holy shit.
They enrolled that many, but they fail people out transfers leave, and people drop out.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:12 pm

D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:John Marshal pumps out more grads than NW and Uchi combined. Holy shit.
They enrolled that many, but they fail people out transfers leave, and people drop out.
True.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:12 pm

Yet the loans live on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Yet the loans live on.
The student loan system had good intentions in the beginning, but it has now become a wealth transfer mechanism from young, naive, immature kids to greedy, old academicians; and all of this occurs with the blessing of the ABA, which is largely composed of many TTT deans, professors, and administrators.

TIMEATELL

New

Post by TIMEATELL » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:11 am

What we have here is a quintessential example of the diminished value of a legal education. From an analytical standpoint, if we look at value in terms of utility or benefit divided by cost, there's no getting around the fact that the benefit (i.e. job prospects) has gone down while the cost has gone up. Further, this is not unique to legal education. In fact, as bad as it may seem, there are scores of undergraduate students who are dealing with the same issue. Perhaps, they paid an average of $40k/year for 4 years as a result of rising tuition, but majored in an unemployable/under- employable subject. With that said, what bothers me the most about this is the fact that schools continue to take actions that contribute unfavorably to an already diminishing value and at an inequitable cost to students. As such, it has become quite clear that our definition of value as students is quite different than the school's definition value as a service provider. Now that we know (and are experiencing) this, the question then becomes 1) How much value are we willing to sacrifice before taking action? 2) What action(s) will we take?

TIME

MRavvel

New

Post by MRavvel » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:31 am

Helmholtz wrote:
New York Law School took in 641, John Marshall (Chicago) enrolled 539, and Suffolk enrolled 531. (Let's not talk about the 808 first year students taken by Florida Coastal and 1,583 by Cooley.)

Holy Christ, how are there 500+ people each year willing to go to Suffolk and John Marshall (and 800+ (!!!!!!) at Florida Coastal)?

TBF, there are a lot of very dumb people in Florida. I know someone going to FC. He knows about the high risk, but he intends to "hustle" (his words) and get a high paying gig in Miami or New York.
To be honest I may have done the same thing if I'd never found TLS.
To someone that has never heard of T14, John Marshall probably sounds like a great school. I mean John Marshall was a Chief Justice, right? Can't be that bad.
These students that don't have the analytical skills to detect a scam, or the grades/scores to attend a decent school, probably shouldn't have ever gone to any law school. What I don't understand is why someone that didn't do well in college would even want to go to graduate school.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:34 am

TIMEATELL wrote:What we have here is a quintessential example of the diminished value of a legal education. From an analytical standpoint, if we look at value in terms of utility or benefit divided by cost, there's no getting around the fact that the benefit (i.e. job prospects) has gone down while the cost has gone up. Further, this is not unique to legal education. In fact, as bad as it may seem, there are scores of undergraduate students who are dealing with the same issue. Perhaps, they paid an average of $40k/year for 4 years as a result of rising tuition, but majored in an unemployable/under- employable subject. With that said, what bothers me the most about this is the fact that schools continue to take actions that contribute unfavorably to an already diminishing value and at an inequitable cost to students. As such, it has become quite clear that our definition of value as students is quite different than the school's definition value as a service provider. Now that we know (and are experiencing) this, the question then becomes 1) How much value are we willing to sacrifice before taking action? 2) What action(s) will we take?

TIME
Some of the blame should go to the schools, but what about the students? It's them that keep going to law school and college no matter what; and it is them that chose to study undergrad majors for which there is no demand in the real world (e.g., philosophy, history, poli sci, etc).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:29 am

scammedhard wrote:
TIMEATELL wrote:What we have here is a quintessential example of the diminished value of a legal education. From an analytical standpoint, if we look at value in terms of utility or benefit divided by cost, there's no getting around the fact that the benefit (i.e. job prospects) has gone down while the cost has gone up. Further, this is not unique to legal education. In fact, as bad as it may seem, there are scores of undergraduate students who are dealing with the same issue. Perhaps, they paid an average of $40k/year for 4 years as a result of rising tuition, but majored in an unemployable/under- employable subject. With that said, what bothers me the most about this is the fact that schools continue to take actions that contribute unfavorably to an already diminishing value and at an inequitable cost to students. As such, it has become quite clear that our definition of value as students is quite different than the school's definition value as a service provider. Now that we know (and are experiencing) this, the question then becomes 1) How much value are we willing to sacrifice before taking action? 2) What action(s) will we take?

TIME
Some of the blame should go to the schools, but what about the students? It's them that keep going to law school and college no matter what; and it is them that chose to study undergrad majors for which there is no demand in the real world (e.g., philosophy, history, poli sci, etc).
When you are told from an early age that college is necessary for success, that you have 4 years to figure out what you want to do once in college, and everyone and their mother tells you that you should major in something that you really like...the chances that someone majors in international feminist theory for 40k a year goes up substantially.

No one is willing to tell kids that they need to gain skills that will make them employable. The feeling that degrees = success has become ingrained in the American thought process, and people, especially 18 and 20 year olds, really don't feel the need to think things through, since everything will "work out" since they got the degree that makes them happy.

TIMEATELL

New

Post by TIMEATELL » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:05 pm

scammedhard wrote:

TIME
I believe students should share some responsibility, but the levers are controlled by the schools. Given the fact that schools are not forthcoming with trustworthy information that would influence one's decision to enroll as a student, I tend to give students the benefit of the doubt. For example, while visiting The Thomas M. Cooley Law School website, I could not find any information about employment prospects. In fact, I had to visit LSAC's website to view Cooley's ABA profile, which had employment information. The story doesn't end there. The ABA profile data has poor integrity, as there are no dates. Why any entity would permit the publication of data without referencing the dates from which that data was collected is beyond me.

TIME

aerogear

New

Post by aerogear » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 am

Helmholtz wrote:

Funny thing is that people brag about attending these schools.

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 am

Well, maybe one good thing will come from all the many unemployed new lawyers: better lawyer jokes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:01 am

Maybe I am an idiot (wouldn't be the first time), but how can first-year enrollment ever exceed applicants? (1999-2004)

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:09 am

Applicants might include transfer and LLM applicants as an example. Frankly, I found that chart a bit misleading too.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:12 am

taxguy wrote:Applicants might include transfer and LLM applicants as an example. Frankly, I found that chart a bit misleading too.
I dunno man; I don't think that explanation cuts it (transfers and LLMs are a drop in the bucket, and there are always gonna be some applicants who can't get in or choose not to matriculate). We must be missing something here.

jplayer

New

Post by jplayer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:13 am

flcath wrote:Maybe I am an idiot (wouldn't be the first time), but how can first-year enrollment ever exceed applicants? (1999-2004)

Applicants are on the left side, enrollment is on the right.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”