NYC Schools for Fall Apps Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cogitoergosum

Silver

NYC Schools for Fall Apps

Post by cogitoergosum » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Last edited by cogitoergosum on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheKingintheNorth

Bronze

Re: NYC Schools for Fall Apps

Post by TheKingintheNorth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Columbia takes the highest score if the difference is more than 6 points last time I checked, and NYU averages according to the TLS page. Still, a 3.0 is real low for the those schools, so you'll need a miracle. The common knowledge is that an upward trend only helps when you're on the cusp, but you're situation is pretty unique so I doubt anyone can give you truly accurate info on how it will really affect you. Edit: It's seems like there's no harm in binding yourself to NYU though other than the almost infinitesimal chance of getting into Columbia.

Fordham with money maybe.

jdMission

New

Post by jdMission » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:33 am

You have a very interesting situation. I am curious to know if there was a reason for such a huge difference in your GPA from Freshman/Sophomore years and your GPA Junior/Senior years. If so, maybe an addendum might help to explain the discrepancy. Fordham, by the way, has an excellent reputation in the New York area for both their full-time and part-time programs. Good luck to you!

Sunitha Ramaiah
Co-Founder jdMission

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Columbia is pretty much out of the question I think (unless there's some extremely unique reason why you went from a 2.0 to a 4.0, but even then, ehhh...). I'm looking at the most recent ABA data for Columbia, and the 25-75 GPA range is 3.6-3.8.

Fordham is far more doable, and an excellent school (one of the schools I'm looking at too). If your plan is to stay in the NYC area after graduation, then you this may be one of your top picks given its reputation here. For Fordham, the 25-75 GPA range is 3.36-3.76, but the LSAT range is 163-168.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”