AA Male 160 and 3.8 chances at T14 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kcirdor01

New

AA Male 160 and 3.8 chances at T14

Post by kcirdor01 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:04 pm

What are my chances at a T14 (not even seriously considering HYS)? Should I retake? I just got the results, and I took the test with about 6 hours of prep work the day before. Thanks!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Re: AA Male 160 and 3.8 chances at T14

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:14 pm

kcirdor01 wrote:What are my chances at a T14 (not even seriously considering HYS)? Should I retake? I just got the results, and I took the test with about 6 hours of prep work the day before. Thanks!
Flame? JFC yes you should retake, are you crazy? Put in a few months of hard work and you're looking at HYS. Doing anything else is the lazy man's approach. Even if you get lower T14, you'll be severely underachieving.

kcirdor01

New

Post by kcirdor01 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:34 am

No flaming here man! I'm serious; I honestly dreaded the LSAT (had to guess on nearly every question in the logic games section) and from what I've read, prep work adds about 5 pts max to your score potential but IDK.... I was just searching for some advice from the forum. And honestly, I'm not too hard pressed about HYS. I'd be more than happy if I was accepted to UVA or GTown. Or even a lesser school (perhaps W&M, Howard or G. Mason with some good $$$) Thoughts?

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:44 am

kcirdor01 wrote:No flaming here man! I'm serious; I honestly dreaded the LSAT (had to guess on nearly every question in the logic games section) and from what I've read, prep work adds about 5 pts max to your score potential but IDK.... I was just searching for some advice from the forum. And honestly, I'm not too hard pressed about HYS. I'd be more than happy if I was accepted to UVA or GTown. Or even a lesser school (perhaps W&M, Howard or G. Mason with some good $$$) Thoughts?
Even if you get 5 point boost only, your URM status will likely mean that you can still get into some freaking amazing T14 schools. If you don't put in a little extra studying I will seriously lose hope in humanity and jump into a volcano.

Although I do get what you mean about Logic Games; read the PowerScore LG Bible to stop guessing and start cashing in.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:52 am

A 160 3.8 AA male has a fighting chance all the way up to HYS. It's slim, but still a decent enough chance to merit an application. Rest assured you will get many T14 offers.

The weird thing in OP's case, however, is that he barely studied for the LSAT. Many URMs struggle to even get a 160 and you got it with just 6 hours of studying. There is really no excuse for you not to study for October and jump at least 5 points, or even 10 points to earn a 170. If you get a 170, which is quite likely in your case, you're in at HYS and the rest of the T14 with $$$.

Don't get lazy and settle. Retake in October and profit.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kcirdor01

New

Post by kcirdor01 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Thanks for the advice! I suppose I can pick up a couple of LG books...any other suggestions on resources for increasing my score on the logic games section outside of the LG Bible? Not really trying to drop 1000 bucks for Kaplan or any of those other prep classes...

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:17 pm

kcirdor01 wrote:Thanks for the advice! I suppose I can pick up a couple of LG books...any other suggestions on resources for increasing my score on the logic games section outside of the LG Bible? Not really trying to drop 1000 bucks for Kaplan or any of those other prep classes...
I honestly think that the LG Bible and constant practice of all game types from PTs = all you need to maximize your LG score. Once you get -0 on certain games, do them again with less time. You'll soon learn to master the LG section.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:24 pm

LG Bible definitely, and the LR Bible too and take every PT you can get your hands on. The Lsat is probably the most important test in your life. You also have huge upsides to doing really well. Every point you can fight for will not be wasted, because of you high GPA and AA status.

RETAKE definitely, Like your life depended on it. Because it does.

Also, it is not unheard of for people to increase 10, 15 or even 20 points on the Lsat with enough work. The lsat is very learnable. I increased my score by 12 points from my diagnostic and I'm not one of the more exceptional case by any means.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:53 pm

This might sound weird, but if I were you I would also want to retake just as a matter of pride. You didn't prep for this thing at all and still did decently, which means you're capable of doing very well. A lot of people -- probably most people -- are prepping more than you. Don't you want to know what you're capable of? I could be off base on this, but it sounds a little like you're thinking "ok, I have a good GPA and I'm an African American male, so I don't have to worry too much because law schools are going to want me." That might be true in the short run, but in the long run you're going to have a better career and a better life if you put that out of your mind and push yourself very hard. Law is competitive as hell. No offense intended -- maybe you just didn't know how hard other people prepare.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”