Are my "Softs" any good? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Questions4people

New

Are my "Softs" any good?

Post by Questions4people » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:49 pm

Varsity sport, Student Senator, worked 3 part-time on-campus jobs (no research or anything involved with these), research assistant for one semester, a couple of congressional internships, by the time I apply will also have some overseas teaching experience
Last edited by Questions4people on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loblaw

Bronze

Re: Are my "Softs" any good?

Post by loblaw » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Yes. Your softs are good. Varsity sports are looked upon quite favorably. But, remember, depending on where you're applying, you're competing with peace corps members, business owners, Rhodes scholars, the Jersey Shore cast, etc. These are necessary to level the playing field, but they won't write checks that your LSAT can't cash.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:02 pm

Your "softs" are good. By the standards of TLS they are not great but they are definitely good.

Questions4people

New

Post by Questions4people » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:03 pm

shoeshine wrote:Your "softs" are good. By the standards of TLS they are not great but they are definitely good.
What would be great by TLS standards? TFA? Peace Corps? Consulting?

Does TLS generally just have better applicants compared to the general pool of applicants?

jmill

New

Post by jmill » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:06 pm

Questions4people wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Your "softs" are good. By the standards of TLS they are not great but they are definitely good.
What would be great by TLS standards? TFA? Peace Corps? Consulting?
Olympic gold medalist, Rhodes Scholar, Senator/Representative, best-selling author, etc. <-------those are great/stellar softs

Go do those before you start law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:11 pm

They're solid, but nothing that's going to drastically change your admissions picture. Almost all law schools are numbers-obsessed. In my class, off hand, I can think of an army officer, a former college newspaper editor in-chief, former reporter for a high-circulation publication, people who worked for big investment banks, people who had capitol hill internships, etc. Of course there are also people who went straight through and people who just paralegalled for a year or two. Bottom line is that an adcom might look at your softs and say "sounds like a promising, hard-working young person." But they're not going to say "wow, in spite of an LSAT below our 25th percentile, we just have to have this person."

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Questions4people wrote:What would be great by TLS standards? TFA? Peace Corps? Consulting?
They're good but not game changers. I'd say real soft "bumps" go to olympic medal winners, Y Combinator/x prize winners, professional sports, published authors, etc. There enough TFA/peace corps/consulting folks that it's not a huge bump.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:15 pm

Well, it is called Top Law Schools, and students pursuing T14 schools make up a large percentage of its users. That being said, there are people on here who attend all kinds of law schools, and have all kinds of numbers. What everyone means by "you have good softs" is that you have a good shot of beating out most applicants who have the exact same LSAT as you and very similar GPAs. A Great Soft would be something that would give a very large boost akin to, perhaps, a bump of a few LSAT points or tenths of GPA points. Like, as has been said, Gold Medalist, Rhodes Scholar, etc. You're looking better than people who were members of a fraternity for a couple years and joined the ping pong club. Or... whatever. But it'll still come down almost entirely to the LSAT and GPA. If you're right on medians, or just above, or, if you're lucky, just below one, those softs might give you a slight edge.

Questions4people

New

Post by Questions4people » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:17 pm

So this seems like a situation where it helps by not hurting me. The softs will neither hurt nor help me...

Does that seem about right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:18 pm

Questions4people wrote:So this seems like a situation where it helps by not hurting me. The softs will neither hurt nor help me...

Yep

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 pm

Questions4people wrote:So this seems like a situation where it helps by not hurting me. The softs will neither hurt nor help me...

Probably, or maybe a little better. Like someone said above, it could certainly lead to schools picking you over a student with identical numbers but a less interesting or accomplished background.

Questions4people

New

Post by Questions4people » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:13 am

Thanks so much for all the help guys!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:05 am

blsingindisguise wrote:

Probably, or maybe a little better. Like someone said above, it could certainly lead to schools picking you over a student with identical numbers but a less interesting or accomplished background.
This is not a given. Only a guess - may not even be a good one. I can tell you based on personal experience that while interesting personal stories are cool, they are not sufficient for a school to pick you over someone with similar numbers.

Truth is we don't know what they want, so how do we know what are good softs? We hear people with low numbers get in with good softs and assume that softs do the job. It won't necessarily apply to anyone but that person in that circumstance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gizmo

New

Post by Gizmo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:40 am

Varsity Ultimate Frisbee? You should try and get a CPA first. I also heard that adcoms love it when you write a few chapters for a book.

weejonbu

Bronze

Post by weejonbu » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:46 am

Gizmo wrote:Varsity Ultimate Frisbee? You should try and get a CPA first. I also heard that adcoms love it when you write a few chapters for a book.
lol... can't believe taxguy keeps coming up... hilarious.

Questions4people

New

Post by Questions4people » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:21 am

Huh?

weejonbu wrote:
Gizmo wrote:Varsity Ultimate Frisbee? You should try and get a CPA first. I also heard that adcoms love it when you write a few chapters for a book.

Rock1234

New

Post by Rock1234 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:19 pm

Questions4people wrote:Huh?

weejonbu wrote:
Taxguy was a person who came to this site and bitched about how his amazing son couldn't get into a decent law school despite his prolific accomplishments (which included a CPA and the chapters). This was because his son had done very poorly on the LSAT. Interestingly, taxguy also paid a visit to College Confidential's law school page, where he met with a much warmer reception.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Those softs are moat certainly average. Not going to help or hurt you at all

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:25 pm

Your softs are neither too squishy nor too firm. They are just right.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:45 am

varsity sports will help more during interviews, i think. good softs - no game changers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”