168 LSAT, 4.0 GPA--options Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nykid628

New

Re: 168 LSAT, 4.0 GPA--options

Post by nykid628 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:People exaggerate the importance of 45k. Its not that much over the course of a legal career. Especially a career that "makes it" in Biglaw or the like. If one doesn't "make it," you are pretty stuck regardless of that 45k. Now this may make more of a difference if we are talking about 1/2 ride+ scholarships (like 90k+), which are rarer than people think unless you drop a few tiers in the rankings which is not usually worth it or you just get a great offer which is obviously best.
I'm in agreement. I think the difference between 180k debt and 225k debt (for example) is not that large. But I also think that people also blow up the difference between CCN and the lower T14 as well.

I'd also add that 1/2 ride+ scholarship are probably not going to be rare for 4.0/168/URM's.
haha true, of course :P
I don't think I want to go between 150k and 200k in debt for any school. I understand investing in oneself on a conceptual level, but I wouldn't have the luxury of working off such immense debt over time, because I have a mother and sister who depend on me already and will only depend on me more in 3 years. And at a certain point I would like to have the financial ability to start a family of my own lol, not be a thirty something Associate still working in a state of indentured servitude (please excuse the hyperbole).

Are there schools in the T-14 that would give an applicant like me enough money to not be in that deep of a hole? I'm not sure how good the job prospects are at the lower end of the T-14 anymore, I have heard horror stories. I'm not terribly intimidated by the academic challenge. I'm not a genius or anything, but I always work hard and have great focus (despite crazy distractions/hardships in the past). If very high-performing students at the lower end of the T-14 (or even T-20) are still competitive for Big Law, and I have a shot at not paying such a hefty price, I'd take it.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:44 pm

nykid628 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:People exaggerate the importance of 45k. Its not that much over the course of a legal career. Especially a career that "makes it" in Biglaw or the like. If one doesn't "make it," you are pretty stuck regardless of that 45k. Now this may make more of a difference if we are talking about 1/2 ride+ scholarships (like 90k+), which are rarer than people think unless you drop a few tiers in the rankings which is not usually worth it or you just get a great offer which is obviously best.
I'm in agreement. I think the difference between 180k debt and 225k debt (for example) is not that large. But I also think that people also blow up the difference between CCN and the lower T14 as well.

I'd also add that 1/2 ride+ scholarship are probably not going to be rare for 4.0/168/URM's.
haha true, of course :P
I don't think I want to go between 150k and 200k in debt for any school. I understand investing in oneself on a conceptual level, but I wouldn't have the luxury of working off such immense debt over time, because I have a mother and sister who depend on me already and will only depend on me more in 3 years. And at a certain point I would like to have the financial ability to start a family of my own lol, not be a thirty something Associate still working in a state of indentured servitude (please excuse the hyperbole).

Are there schools in the T-14 that would give an applicant like me enough money to not be in that deep of a hole? I'm not sure how good the job prospects are at the lower end of the T-14 anymore, I have heard horror stories. I'm not terribly intimidated by the academic challenge. I'm not a genius or anything, but I always work hard and have great focus (despite crazy distractions/hardships in the past). If very high-performing students at the lower end of the T-14 (or even T-20) are still competitive for Big Law, and I have a shot at not paying such a hefty price, I'd take it.
Yes lower t14s have good prospects. Yes you will get money at some of them, possibly a full ride somewhere. No I cannot tell you the future.

Also, if you want and get biglaw you will have the money to help your family and pay debts, not all of your discretionary income will have to go to debts. Also at a school like Harvard, there LRAP will cover many other jobs so you will still be able to help your family. It is true that you will not be able to help them too much while you are still in school but that is true anywhere. You probably will be able to make your choices among good options so it doesnt really matter.

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:18 pm

nykid628 wrote:Are there schools in the T-14 that would give an applicant like me enough money to not be in that deep of a hole?
I have a reverse splitter friend (4/164) who qualified as Hispanic (because of her granddad) and she was admitted to PENN. She loves it there. Because she applied ED she heard all the TLS reumors that there would not be much in the way of scholly money―what she received equaled a third of her entire tuition. She says that the recent stats show PENN placing in the top 3 of BigLaw hires. Even with New York state and city taxes and a +$125K debt, she’d still clear +$7K a month. Good enough to live just fine and send money home.

nykid628

New

Post by nykid628 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:30 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
nykid628 wrote:Are there schools in the T-14 that would give an applicant like me enough money to not be in that deep of a hole?
I have a reverse splitter friend (4/164) who qualified as Hispanic (because of her granddad) and she was admitted to PENN. She loves it there. Because she applied ED she heard all the TLS reumors that there would not be much in the way of scholly money―what she received equaled a third of her entire tuition. She says that the recent stats show PENN placing in the top 3 of BigLaw hires. Even with New York state and city taxes and a +$125K debt, she’d still clear +$7K a month. Good enough to live just fine and send money home.
That sounds pretty good to me. Definitely not looking to get into law for some sort of immediately opulent lifestyle. I'm from the projects, I can live well off of $2,200 a month, at least until some of my debt disappears.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”