How to ask someone for a job? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
joefow91

New

How to ask someone for a job?

Post by joefow91 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:41 pm

I was discussing the prospect of "Big Law" jobs with an older cousin of mine. She graduated from a non t-25 law school and landed a Big Law job. I have a few other connections in the legal field, ranging from a partner at a larger firm, private practice connections, and I've worked with a prominent Congressman for a year now. My question for everyone is: How do you ask someone for a favor, i.e. job connection? How do I go about doing this without appearing selfish and whatnot. Any personal examples? I feel like I'm not close enough with these people, seeing that these cousins are third cousins, and I don't know this Congressman THAT well. I may seem to be jumping the gun a bit, as I have a few years before even entering the market, but the job prospects are frightening and, well, desperate times call for desperate measures.
Thanks.

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Re: How to ask someone for a job?

Post by ElvisAaron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:40 pm

I don't know about asking for a job thats 3 years out when you havent accomplished shit yet...I'd be inclined to simply make sure they all know you are going to law school, find excuses to talk to them about law school so they feel some connection to you, and keep them posted on your progress as it goes.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Be direct.
People respect that, even if they have to turn you down.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Say: "hey, can you hook a brother up with a mean job that pays a buck fifty?"

iamnooneelse

New

Post by iamnooneelse » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:56 pm

It's a matter of initiative. Every connection I've ever put to use has been by expressing my eagerness to break into something, or to get more experience with what I'm already doing, etc. If they know you well enough to believe you're competent and you're likeable enough for them not to hate you, you just have to show initiative on your part for them to want to help you on that path. If they know someone who's looking for someone, they'll either put a word in or at least point you in the right direction.

I agree with the above comment about the necessity of being direct, but again, I would emphasize the language of "opportunity." But even better, just build a connection over time so they know your interests and so you're the first name to pop into their head when they catch wind of a relevant opportunity. Make what it is that you want obvious without being a leech. Find the happy middle ground between being a passive bystander and the direct desperation of "find me a job because I can't."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”