Question about letters of rec Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JustSomebody

New

Question about letters of rec

Post by JustSomebody » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:01 am

So it seems like almost every law school requires at least two letters of recommendation and allows you to submit one or two more if you so desire.

But are there any law schools in the T20ish area that REQUIRE three letters of recommendation? I've tried searching everywhere for a list of how many letters of recommendation every law school requires, but I can't find any such list.

Also, do you think it would hurt if you only submitted two? As in, does not submitting more than the required amount hurt your chances at any of the schools?

I really only want to have to bother with two because I went to a large state university and the profs are extremely busy and take forever to do anything. Plus, I really don't think an additional letter would say anything different than the other two.

I also don't really have any relevant work experience, so asking an employer for a letter wouldn't work.

Samara

Gold

Re: Question about letters of rec

Post by Samara » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:43 am

It appears that none require three. This website, --LinkRemoved--, is a good compilation of data, but it may not be recently updated. For example, it doesn't address Northwestern's recent introduction of CPEs. LSAC also has a table of this information somewhere, but I'm too lazy to hunt it down.

The consensus seems to be that not submitting extra letters will not hurt you and that extra letters should only be submitted if they are all of high quality. I'd say don't be worried about only having two.

WayBryson

Bronze

Re: Question about letters of rec

Post by WayBryson » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:57 am

Samara wrote:It appears that none require three. This website, --LinkRemoved--, is a good compilation of data, but it may not be recently updated. For example, it doesn't address Northwestern's recent introduction of CPEs. LSAC also has a table of this information somewhere, but I'm too lazy to hunt it down.

The consensus seems to be that not submitting extra letters will not hurt you and that extra letters should only be submitted if they are all of high quality. I'd say don't be worried about only having two.
Agreed. I would also add that many of the admissions blogs and TLS Dean Interviews point to the value of academic letters of recommendation. So, if you have something interesting/unique in your background that you want to be reflected in a letter of rec, then that would be a good situation to submit more than two. In my case, I have been out of school working abroad for several years. So I submitted one from my supervisor here in addition to my two academic letters. Good luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”