Do you need to give a copy of your transcript to LOR writers Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JustSomebody

New

Do you need to give a copy of your transcript to LOR writers

Post by JustSomebody » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:44 pm

?

And if so, do you have to go through the hassle of paying for and getting an "official" copy sent to them, or could you just copy and paste it from your online academic history?

ahduth

Gold

Re: Do you need to give a copy of your transcript to LOR writers

Post by ahduth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:45 pm

JustSomebody wrote:?

And if so, do you have to go through the hassle of paying for and getting an "official" copy sent to them, or could you just copy and paste it from your online academic history?
No. It's a reference. They're not testifying to your grades, they're giving a personal reference. LSDAS gets the transcripts anyhow.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:48 pm

The poster above is mistaken. Your LOR writers will need an official copy of your transcripts. If you do not give them official transcripts, and they are not time stamped with a date that is BEFORE they write your LOR's, the LSAC will consider them null and void.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:49 pm

esq wrote:The poster above is mistaken. Your LOR writers will need an official copy of your transcripts. If you do not give them official transcripts, and they are not time stamped with a date that is BEFORE they write your LOR's, the LSAC will consider them null and void.
unless LSAC has changed their policy this is entirely inaccurate (flame?)

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:51 pm

esq wrote:The poster above is mistaken. Your LOR writers will need an official copy of your transcripts. If you do not give them official transcripts, and they are not time stamped with a date that is BEFORE they write your LOR's, the LSAC will consider them null and void.
Umm, no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 pm

The poster above is mistaken. Your LOR writers will need an official copy of your transcripts. If you do not give them official transcripts, and they are not time stamped with a date that is BEFORE they write your LOR's, the LSAC will consider them null and void.
what?

absolutely none of my LOR writers needed an official copy of my transcripts. what do my grades have anything to do w/ character and personality?

JustSomebody

New

Post by JustSomebody » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:54 pm

I think that person was making fun of me for asking if they needed an official copy. I was just curious, because one of the articles on TLS recommends providing LOR writers with a copy of your transcript. But I'm glad that it's not really necessary, because it seems like a hassle.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:57 pm

JustSomebody wrote:I think that person was making fun of me for asking if they needed an official copy. I was just curious, because one of the articles on TLS recommends providing LOR writers with a copy of your transcript. But I'm glad that it's not really necessary, because it seems like a hassle.
With TLS, you get the good and the bad. That poster had bad information, and it was refuted... quickly.

You should go into the choosing a law school forum though, that's where the real fights occur. :)

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:00 pm

ask your LOR writers if they want an unofficial transcript. it can help them get a better understanding of you outside your classes. if you did an awesome job in their class while juggling 15 other credit hours they might note that in your letter

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swimmer33

New

Post by swimmer33 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:04 pm

it's just a preference. i've had LOR writers ask me for a transcript, and others who haven't cared. the professors who have asked, it has only helped me.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:12 pm

JustSomebody wrote:I think that person was making fun of me for asking if they needed an official copy. I was just curious, because one of the articles on TLS recommends providing LOR writers with a copy of your transcript. But I'm glad that it's not really necessary, because it seems like a hassle.
My post was intended to highlight the ridiculousness of sending official transcripts to your recommenders. I was hoping that you'd pick up on my sarcasm.

I'm not sure why transcripts would be necessary at all unless they ask for it. I think that a more personal approach to jogging their memories, and this is what I did, is to send your LOR writers an email that reminds them about how they were involved in your education. I included a summary of classes I took with them, my grades, and what I felt was important to me about their class (an important piece of work, a challenging assignment, etc.) For one instructor, I also summarized what we worked on together in the honors society and the research that we worked on for some of the conferences I presented at. It was less than a page. The point is that it might be helpful to highlight some of the important ways that they were involved in your education just to jog their memories, but there is no requirement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”