UG Alumni Boost?? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
miss_juris

New

UG Alumni Boost??

Post by miss_juris » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Just curious and I'm not sure if this has been asked before...

If you apply to the law school at the university where you completed your undergraduate work, are admission committees more willing to accept an alum over another applicant (any boost involved)? Say for example, an individual's LSAT and GPA are slightly lower than other applicants but he/she attended the university as an undergraduate.

bk1

Diamond

Re: UG Alumni Boost??

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:30 pm

It isn't going to boost you above others with better GPA's and/or LSAT's.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:45 pm

wont help unfortunately.. also, if you arent sure whether something has been asked, you can always type it into the search box

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:50 pm

miss_juris wrote:Just curious and I'm not sure if this has been asked before...

If you apply to the law school at the university where you completed your undergraduate work, are admission committees more willing to accept an alum over another applicant (any boost involved)? Say for example, an individual's LSAT and GPA are slightly lower than other applicants but he/she attended the university as an undergraduate.
Depends on the school, but in the vast majority of cases probably not. Pretty sure that part of the reason I got into my alma mater's law school despite being a splitter and applying relatively late was because I did my undergrad there.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:54 pm

more importantly.. which undergrad is it.. then we can probably tell you if that school's law school is worth going to at sticker.. which is what youd likely be paying with a GPA and LSAT under their median if you get in

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:54 pm

I've heard stories of it possibly hurting (somebody on here was: Columbia UG, accepted at HLS, denied at CLS)

ctxmike

New

Post by ctxmike » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:54 pm

My undergrad (Emory) gets over 100 applicants from the college into the law school. It accepts about 1/3 with a median GPA that is significantly lower than the overall average. I'm pretty sure that when it comes to higher ranked private schools, going there for undergrad can help. However, for large public universities, such as UT-Austin, this is almost certainly not true.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”