Help of those in LS/practicing Lawyers: Types of Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
things fall apart

Bronze

Help of those in LS/practicing Lawyers: Types of Law

Post by things fall apart » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:18 am

I'll try this again after previously being thwarted in my attempt to learn more about law.

Currently a 0L who works for a legal institution, however, can anyone explain or point out a place to explain different avenues in law I could go into or should look [proactively] into as a 0L.

I know it depends on what my school specializes in/what classes interest me blah blah, but I want to know what different types of law I can go into outside of big law.

I'm aware of the ambiguity this question has inviting a snarky response but outside of Litigation and "International" Law which areas should can people attest to? I know, as an absolute, I do not want to touch family law or anything related, but I feel so out-of-touch with niche type laws that aren't as well know (Labor law, insurance defense, etc) and I've been getting self conscious constantly hearing "what type of law do you want to do" to which I answer litigation or "international" :lol: law.

Saving your smart*** responses can anyone summarize some lesser known(to a 0L) areas of law or point me to somewhere I can look into different types with explanations and career paths?

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Re: Help of those in LS/practicing Lawyers: Types of Law

Post by fundamentallybroken » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:01 pm

I have started answering this question simply with "RICO law." When the asker inevitably says, "Oh, so you want to work for the feds?" I stare at them blankly for a few seconds before answering, "No. The defense side of RICO."

QuailMan

New

Post by QuailMan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:39 pm

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:21 pm

The catch-all is usually Business/Corporate and there a lot of MidLaw firms that specialize in this area if you are adverse to BigLaw. Otherwise there are plenty of other specialties like Criminal, Health, Immigration, Labor, Securities, Tax, Real Estate, Bankruptcy, Intellectual Property, etc. However, keep in mind that the more unique or unusual the specialty, the less opportunities there will be to find work it in. You'll have the easiest time finding a job in criminal or business law due to their shear size, but IP is in short-supply if you have the necessary background to get into it.

Just google some of the above specialties, read up on them, and see if you any of them.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:33 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:34 pm

http://www.chambers-associate.com/Pract ... -Summaries

ETA: I guess this is specifically for biglaw, but I'm guessing this still applies for what you're getting at. Just look at specialized boutiques that perform the same functions as biglaw departments.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:05 pm

the first two posts in this thread are an amazing collision of terrible question and terrible answer

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:54 pm

fatduck wrote:the first two posts in this thread are an amazing collision of terrible question and terrible answer
You know what they say - ask a terrible question...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:24 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:I have started answering this question simply with "RICO law." When the asker inevitably says, "Oh, so you want to work for the feds?" I stare at them blankly for a few seconds before answering, "No. The defense side of RICO."

I've started answering the "what type of law do you want to practice" question with "maritime law". When they ask what that is, I tell them it's pirate defense.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 pm

There are types of law that biglaw doesn't do. They don't do a lot of criminal (except white collar stuff) and they don't do family. You can always just do simple probate or something as well. These are all relatively low-brow fields. Do you speak Spanish? Immigration...

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:19 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
fatduck wrote:the first two posts in this thread are an amazing collision of terrible question and terrible answer
You know what they say - ask a terrible question...
I asked about the different areas of law more obscure from an outsiders perspective...terrible question or you're a flaming douche ?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”