Military Q's Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Redfactor

Bronze

Military Q's

Post by Redfactor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:12 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw

Gold

Re: Military Q's

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Redfactor wrote:I have two questions that pertain to my Military background.

1) I know that me being a Marine combat veteran will be a quality soft. I feel especially so with my experiences as an engineer.

This summer I want to volunteer with an organization. I want to work with military returning from Afghanistan, but worry that my softs will appear too focued and not pertain to law.

Is this concern legit? Should I try and find a program to help vets with legal issues? (I'm sure a program like that exists.)

2) I know that Northwestern University prides itself on work experience for their incoming students. Do they have a certain viewpoint on military members who enlisted before doing their undergraduate work but haven't held a post-grad position? I am 26 and already possess the maturity and discipline that work experience is supposed to instill, but it's not my opinion that matters.

Thanks for the help,
Red
Welcome, Marine. Former Air Force here. I don't know enough about NU to answer your second question, but I wanted to respond to the first.

I would not worry about finding anything law related before starting school. Any job "law-related" is not going to be the same type of job you will be doing after 1L. Instead, I would focus on doing something you enjoy and where you can shine as a leader or independent worker.

Don't worry about the legal background. I had no legal background before law school and had zero trouble getting my top choices for 1L summer.

Edit: If I had to guess for NU, I would hope they would count prior service as WE even if it was before your bachelors. Military WE is different from civilian WE and I feel it should count as post-grad work even if all you had was a HS diploma.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:22 am

My personal guess is that it would probably count as WE for NU.

You might be interested in the interview with Asst. Dean for Admissions, Johann Lee that TLS has: http://www.top-law-schools.com/johann-l ... rview.html

He talks quite a bit about what they're looking for when they "require" WE.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:48 am

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:48 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”