Legal Outsourcing Firms Creating Jobs for American Lawyers Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NR3C1

New

Legal Outsourcing Firms Creating Jobs for American Lawyers

Post by NR3C1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:21 am

A New York Times Article titled "Legal Outsourcing Firms Creating Jobs for American Lawyers."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/busin ... .html?_r=1

Sounds pretty bleak, doesn't it?

Perch

Silver

Re: Legal Outsourcing Firms Creating Jobs for American Lawyers

Post by Perch » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:24 am

NR3C1 wrote:A New York Times Article titled "Legal Outsourcing Firms Creating Jobs for American Lawyers."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/busin ... .html?_r=1

Sounds pretty bleak, doesn't it?
I decided while reading the paper this morning that the NYT simply hates lawyers and the profession. I know many will say they're telling it like it is, but it has ceased to be objective reporting and they choose to find the grim stories that aren't representative of the whole. Yes there are grads from good schools without jobs, but they need to stop highlighting TTTs as the norm.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:27 am

By definition, TTTs and TTTTs are the norm. Or is it that everyone goes to a T-14 (where still around 30-40% of the aggregate don't get biglaw).

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:27 am

Perch wrote: I decided while reading the paper this morning that the NYT simply hates lawyers and the profession. I know many will say they're telling it like it is, but it has ceased to be objective reporting and they choose to find the grim stories that aren't representative of the whole. Yes there are grads from good schools without jobs, but they need to stop highlighting TTTs as the norm.
Well, something that is representative of the whole, would be normal and thus, not news. Things that have not occurred before, or are rare are news.

Think along the lines of: Dog bites man is not news, man bites dog is news.

NR3C1

New

Post by NR3C1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:33 am

Perch wrote:I decided while reading the paper this morning that the NYT simply hates lawyers and the profession. I know many will say they're telling it like it is, but it has ceased to be objective reporting and they choose to find the grim stories that aren't representative of the whole. Yes there are grads from good schools without jobs, but they need to stop highlighting TTTs as the norm.
I think the NYT is telling it as it is, and there is ample data out there to support their claims. We may not like to hear/read it, but lawyers are in a plight and legal profession is in a free fall because of outsourcing and technological innovations.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Good post. ATL is also covering this article:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/06/outsourc ... all-boats/

I like this paragraph:
The only people who don’t want to understand or adjust to that reality are the deans and faculty at your local law school. The problem isn’t young lawyers not being able to make six-figure salaries; the problem is law schools charging people six figures to have the opportunity to do one of these jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”