"16. why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
flcath

Silver

Re: Re:

Post by flcath » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:49 am

voice of reason wrote:
M51 wrote:I'm pretty sure that quesiton can only hurt you and not help since they give you all of 2.5 lines to answer it.
2.5 lines is plenty for the truth. "Because I may not get in to Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, Penn, Michigan, Duke, Virginia, or Northwestern, and I don't know if I want Georgetown."
But they will love this answer! It fits perfectly with the school's new motto, tutus locus of altissimus quattuordecim.

Edit: Thank you Cupidity

hoopsguy6

Bronze

Re: Re:

Post by hoopsguy6 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:51 am

voice of reason wrote:
M51 wrote:I'm pretty sure that quesiton can only hurt you and not help since they give you all of 2.5 lines to answer it.
2.5 lines is plenty for the truth. "Because I may not get in to Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, Penn, Michigan, Duke, Virginia, or Northwestern, and I don't know if I want Georgetown."
Lol

daesonesb

Bronze

Re: "16. why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School

Post by daesonesb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:52 am

I know. That's why I'm still up, and still thinking about this shit.
I really can't BS lately for the life of me. It's killing me too, because these applications feel ridiculously forced.

I've had the same problem with my PS too. Same problem with my PS for my Undergrad.

Thing is, I'm not a bad writer by any stretch. I'm just bad at writing about why Law School is important to me.

EDIT:

I think I've got a better one...
Last edited by daesonesb on Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:56 am

daesonesb wrote:I know. That's why I'm still up, and still thinking about this shit.
I really can't BS lately for the life of me. It's killing me too, because these applications feel ridiculously forced.

I've had the same problem with my PS too. Same problem with my PS for my Undergrad.

Thing is, I'm not a bad writer by any stretch. I'm just bad at writing about why Law School is important to me.
I didn't wanna seem like a dick--I'm sure you're a smart guy--but I actually laughed aloud literally at how awful that answer was.

I know what you're talking about, though. PS's are really fucking awkward. If they want to see my writing, give me a topic to write on (or use that LSAT passage no one has looked at yet); if you want to know about my character or whatever, look at my LoRs. Don't ask me to write a glowing endorsement of myself.

Edit: "saddened to lose my East coast roots"... ? ... yeah dude, you definitely *shouldn't* try to write a Why Cornell? essay.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:04 am

Just so I can correct this before it catches on "of" was a typo.

"tutus locus altissimus quattuordecim" is the correct latin motto:
safe place of the highest fourteen

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:06 am

daesonesb wrote: Cornell's connection with the past and strong sense of tradition makes it unlike the other law schools I am applying to, most of which are fairly new West Coast schools. I'd be saddened to lose my East Coast roots, and that makes Cornell a top choice for me.

And I'm spent.
Yeah, Georgetown doesn't have tradition. None of the other T-14 are in the north East, deffinitely none in the T-30, they are all in California.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:09 am

I think the problem is that I don't really want to go to Cornell.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:11 am

daesonesb wrote:I think the problem is that I don't really want to go to Cornell.
Then don't apply, you and I are close in numbers. Cornell is my dream school, you are 1 LSAT point higher than me and .1 lower on the GPA, there is a realistic possibility that you might take my damn spot.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:17 am

I wrote "I chose Cornell because of its small size, family friendly, small town
location and, of course, because of its academic reputation."

Who cares. They don't really read this crap. The whole application process is just one big chance to screw up (like I did on my Yale application). The selection process is 95% numbers and don't use the F-word in you PS. If you can do that then you are in. All the deans talk about wanting to built a truly diverse class but they are fooling themselves. How can you tell anything about people from this application process. When I was in the Army I was in charge of hiring civilian employees, I read all their applications checked their references and interviewed them. At the end of the day the chances of me weeding out the screwballs was about 50-50. I'll bet anything that the biggest jerk in your class next year has a beautiful application with a PS that would bring tears to your eyes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:18 am

daesonesb wrote:I think the problem is that I don't really want to go to Cornell.
Well no fuckin' shit, it's in Ithaca, New York.

Edit: you should mention their incredible COA clerkship numbers

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:22 am

MURPH wrote:I wrote "I chose Cornell because of its small size, family friendly, small town

Who cares. They don't really read this crap. The whole application process is just one big chance to screw up (like I did on my Yale application). The selection process is 95% numbers and don't use the F-word in you PS. If you can do that then you are in. All the deans talk about wanting to built a truly diverse class but they are fooling themselves. How can you tell anything about people from this application process. When I was in the Army I was in charge of hiring civilian employees, I read all their applications checked their references and interviewed them. At the end of the day the chances of me weeding out the screwballs was about 50-50. I'll bet anything that the biggest jerk in your class next year has a beautiful application with a PS that would bring tears to your eyes.
This seems to imply that you used the F-word in your Yale 250, which--while I doubt that's the case--would earn you a beer.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:24 am

flcath wrote:
MURPH wrote:I wrote "I chose Cornell because of its small size, family friendly, small town

This seems to imply that you used the F-word in your Yale 250, which--while I doubt that's the case--would earn you a PBR.
Fixed

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:26 am

The only thing I can think of is that Cornell has a good law review, and that I could use my experience working with the school paper towards that.

Oh, and I have a friend who used the N word in his personal statement out of highschool. He got into Berkeley.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:28 am

daesonesb wrote:The only thing I can think of is that Cornell has a good law review, and that I could use my experience working with the school paper towards that.

Oh, and I have a friend who used the N word in his personal statement out of highschool. He got into Berkeley.
Only at Berkeley would that be alright.

wait TCR is:

If he is black its ok.

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:34 am

daesonesb wrote:The only thing I can think of is that Cornell has a good law review, and that I could use my experience working with the school paper towards that.
That might be even worse than your previous reason...

Maybe you should just find some talking points from Cornell's viewbook/website and regurgitate them in your own words.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:37 am

daesonesb wrote:Oh, and I have a friend who used the N word in his personal statement out of highschool. He got into Berkeley.
Context matters a lot with that one. And who (i.e., what color) the person using it is. "When I was 12, an older man at the convenience store called me and my friends..." puts you in a way different place than "I would like to earn a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, so that I might one day develop sterility treatments to use on all the..."

Of course the school in the story was Berkeley. Any PS that doesn't mention drug use/government subversion/membership in some fringe organization would be risky there.
Last edited by flcath on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:38 am

Cornell stands out to me based on the strength of its Law Review, specifically the Cornell International Law Journal. I plan to use my knowledge of economics, as well as my journalism skills, to make valuable contributions concerning topics like international trade and environmental policy.

EDIT: That's got to be better than the one about my East Coast Roots.

And the context of the PS was that my friend is from the south, and (if I remember right) he was quoting his granddad using the word. The paper was, as you might guess, about why he wanted to make a break for the West Coast.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:41 am

galahad85 wrote:
That might be even worse than your previous reason...

Maybe you should just find some talking points from Cornell's viewbook/website and regurgitate them in your own words.
I dunno about that. The first one was strikingly bad for something so unimportant. I agree that you'd be better off just copying and pasting something off of the website at this point; your heart's just not in this one.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:48 am

that was off the website. :?
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:51 am

Mine doesn't even take a line: "Because you sent me a fee waiver".

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:57 pm

I talked about how I want to pursue union-side L&E and Cornell's joint JD/MILR program offers such a great opportunity. Cornell has a really well regarded labor studies institute, so mine was actually somewhat genuine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Mine doesn't even take a line: "Because you sent me a fee waiver".
"Because I have to apply to get the... wait, is this not the school that gives you the free t-shirt?!"

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:42 pm

Just put "Campus waterfalls."

Worst fee waiver ever.... So not a good reason to apply.

randyn

New

Post by randyn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:49 pm

daesonesb wrote:Here's my three line plea:
From the Gothic and Victorian appeal of Cornell's architecture, to the large rare books collection in the law library, Cornell has a strong connection with the past. This, combined with the free-thinking culture of Ithaca, would make for an excellent law school experience.

ditto

twopoodles

Bronze

Post by twopoodles » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Whatever you write...I hope it doesn't actually include the word "simmilar."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”