GPA - pls clarify re extra undergrad Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sam25

New

GPA - pls clarify re extra undergrad

Post by sam25 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:02 pm

The LSAC site currently lists an error page for this question. Someone kindly c+p'd it in another post, which says GPA is calculated only until the first undergrad degree is received. Then they also calculate using any further undergrad grades if you have them. As I have more undergrad grades from after my degree, that means LSAC will furnish all law schools I apply to with 2 GPA reports?

This question seems to have an official answer (first undergrad only) and an implied gray area. Can adcomms choose to consider the higher GPA report in order to keep their stats high, or are they bound to use that first undergrad report only?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: GPA - pls clarify re extra undergrad

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu May 26, 2011 7:33 pm

LSAC Website wrote:A copy of these transcripts, along with a summarization of all undergraduate work, will be forwarded with the law school report to the law schools to which you apply. Transcripts representing work completed after the first four-year undergraduate degree (considered graduate work by LSAC) will not be summarized, but copies will be sent with the law school report. This includes law school/professional school work. Work done at a graduate/law/professional school prior to the granting of a four-year undergraduate degree will be included in the academic summary as undergraduate work.
Seems clear. Law schools get copies of those transcripts representing work completed after the first bachelor's degree, but LSAC doesn't factor those classes into transcript summarization, which includes the generation of an LSDAS GPA. Undergraduate classes completed after receiving a first bachelor's will be treated the same as graduate courses: transcript forwarded but no effect on reported GPA. So, it's extremely unlikely an adcomm will let those grades influence their decision any more than grad school GPA influences a decision.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Thu May 26, 2011 7:39 pm

what does it mean after the first bachelors degree? I have a double major, is it when i graduate and get them both at the same time? What if I finish up my first major requirements before i finish the other requirements? I won't have graduated, but I'll have satisfied all of my major requirements for the first major, and be working on finishing up the second.

sam25

New

Post by sam25 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Thank you b-roman. Why would they even bother sending the other grades if they can't influence the decision?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu May 26, 2011 8:01 pm

blink wrote:what does it mean after the first bachelors degree? I have a double major, is it when i graduate and get them both at the same time? What if I finish up my first major requirements before i finish the other requirements? I won't have graduated, but I'll have satisfied all of my major requirements for the first major, and be working on finishing up the second.
Pretty sure it's all classes up to actually getting the degree. I assume you'll be getting both degrees conferred simultaneously when you graduate, so all those classes should count. If, for example, you get one degree conferred this fall and the second degree conferred next fall, then the classes taken between the two won't count for your LSDAS GPA.
sam25 wrote:Thank you b-roman. Why would they even bother sending the other grades if they can't influence the decision?
I mean, they can influence the decision, but the consensus is that schools care about your LSDAS GPA much, much, much more than they care about other grades.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu May 26, 2011 8:33 pm

blink wrote:what does it mean after the first bachelors degree? I have a double major, is it when i graduate and get them both at the same time? What if I finish up my first major requirements before i finish the other requirements? I won't have graduated, but I'll have satisfied all of my major requirements for the first major, and be working on finishing up the second.
Both will count. This is more for situations like mine: I earned my BA from NYU then went back and got an AAS at FIT. The AAS is considered graduate work by LSAC because I did it after I graduated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”