Typical BigLaw Career Progression- What Happens? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
t14wannabe

New

Typical BigLaw Career Progression- What Happens?

Post by t14wannabe » Thu May 26, 2011 3:50 am

I'm kind of confused as to what happens in the BigLaw system. I see the lockstep salaries but what happens when associates have been there for 6, 8, 10 years. Some make partner but what happens to those that don't? Do they keep making the same salary that they made as a Xth year associate and continue being associates or take on a separate title? Are they blatantly told they won't make partner and therefore seek other options elsewhere?

Also, roughly what % of associates that stay with a BigLaw firm actually make partner?

TTH

Diamond

Re: Typical BigLaw Career Progression- What Happens?

Post by TTH » Thu May 26, 2011 10:19 am

t14wannabe wrote:I'm kind of confused as to what happens in the BigLaw system. I see the lockstep salaries but what happens when associates have been there for 6, 8, 10 years. Some make partner but what happens to those that don't? Do they keep making the same salary that they made as a Xth year associate and continue being associates or take on a separate title? Are they blatantly told they won't make partner and therefore seek other options elsewhere?

Also, roughly what % of associates that stay with a BigLaw firm actually make partner?
They get pushed out the door, usually well before they've been there that long. As far as exit options go, it depends on the firm and the associate's reputation. Typical options are boutiques, in-house, government, other (perhaps less prestigious) firms, etc.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Thu May 26, 2011 10:28 am

t14wannabe wrote: Also, roughly what % of associates that stay with a BigLaw firm actually make partner?
Depends on the firm. Research this before OCI.

in my eyes

New

Post by in my eyes » Thu May 26, 2011 11:15 am

If you're doing high level transactional work you may look into financial positions / ibanking

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”