Schools that offer A+'s Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bernaldiaz

Gold

Schools that offer A+'s

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat May 21, 2011 10:20 pm

So, I've searched a bit on TLS and elsewhere on the internet to try to find a list of schools that offer A+'s. I think that if people compiled a list of schools (especially community colleges/ online classes/ places that offer summer courses) that they knew offered A+'s into this thread, it could be a valuable resource for those who are looking to pad their GPA's over the summer. While it may not exactly be honorable to grade-whore and only select a school because it offers A+'s, I know that for me that it would be an attractive boost to a school. Maybe I'm wrong and people won't want such a list, but I think it may be a good idea.

dpk711

Silver

Re: Schools that offer A+'s

Post by dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:23 pm

My alma mater doesn't.

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sat May 21, 2011 10:24 pm

It's not a long list; mainly the ones that most people can't get into and can't afford.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat May 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:It's not a long list; mainly the ones that most people can't get into and can't afford.
lol no.

And if somebody is trying to pad their GPA but is too lazy to take 30 seconds to look at a school's site to see if they give A+ grades, then I don't feel like helping them, tbh.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat May 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Dany wrote:
Gideon Strumpet wrote:It's not a long list; mainly the ones that most people can't get into and can't afford.
lol no.

And if somebody is trying to pad their GPA but is too lazy to take 30 seconds to look at a school's site to see if they give A+ grades, then I don't feel like helping them, tbh.
I have honestly done quite a bit of research of all my surrounding schools to see if they offered A+'s. Schools don't always make it clear whether they offer A+'s or not on their website. Also, I'm not going to go on every state school website and check their grading policy. If say, the University of Maryland system (entirely made-up example) offers A+'s, and someone had an experience at UMaryland and knew of their grading policies, they could share that here, and maybe a TLS-er would choose to take their online course at UMaryland. I thought that this thread could be helpful in that way. I'm not lazy at all, thank you. I just don't have the time to check every website in the country. Think before you accuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat May 21, 2011 10:55 pm

My school gives out A pluses but they count them as regular A's (4.0). LSAC counts them as 4.33. Result was that my GPA got a nice boost.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:57 pm

My alma mater doesnt give out letter grades so by default, No A+'s

I know University of Michigan gives out A+'s though

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat May 21, 2011 11:00 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:My school gives out A pluses but they count them as regular A's (4.0). LSAC counts them as 4.33. Result was that my GPA got a nice boost.
Name of school? Do they offer online classes, etc.?

Bobeo

Bronze

Post by Bobeo » Sat May 21, 2011 11:11 pm

IU Bloomington gives out A+, but they only count for 4.0 on your UGPA. LSAC HOW would be 4.3 though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

phillaw

New

Post by phillaw » Sat May 21, 2011 11:12 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:My school gives out A pluses but they count them as regular A's (4.0). LSAC counts them as 4.33. Result was that my GPA got a nice boost.
i thought this was a bogus thread, but is this for real? you can just take a random class at another undergrad school that offers A+'s and boost your LSAC gpa? Seems kind of unfair for LSAC to do that--kids who get perfect As at non-A+-giving schools are at a huge disadvantage!--that is, unless they game it like the OP wants to and take a summer class at a A+-giving school. i never knew this was possible. but of course, it might look weird if you graduate from, for example, Princeton with Bs but have 3 A+'s from Mercer County Community College. I think adcomm will just weigh your LSAT more heavily in that case.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat May 21, 2011 11:17 pm

phillaw wrote:
i thought this was a bogus thread, but is this for real? you can just take a random class at another undergrad school that offers A+'s and boost your LSAC gpa? Seems kind of unfair for LSAC to do that--kids who get perfect As at non-A+-giving schools are at a huge disadvantage!--that is, unless they game it like the OP wants to and take a summer class at a A+-giving school. i never knew this was possible. but of course, it might look weird if you graduate from, for example, Princeton with Bs but have 3 A+'s from Mercer County Community College. I think adcomm will just weigh your LSAT more heavily in that case.
OP here. Yeah, I would have agreed with you at first, but the more I have read on TLS it seems that all that schools care about is your LSAC GPA. Apparently, since the law schools only report your LSAC GPA to the rankings, that is what they care about and will not look down upon summer classes at a community college. With this in mind, I figured if I was going to take a summer class (I wasn't just doing it to boost my GPA) I mine as well look for a school that offered the 4.33 and maybe erase my A- from my GPA. I mean if the ability to get a 4.33 is out there, we mine as well try to take advantage of the situation, right?

EDIT: By all that schools care about is LSAC GPA, I meant grade-wise. Obviously the LSAT and softs are important too

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat May 21, 2011 11:21 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:I have honestly done quite a bit of research of all my surrounding schools to see if they offered A+'s. Schools don't always make it clear whether they offer A+'s or not on their website. Also, I'm not going to go on every state school website and check their grading policy. If say, the University of Maryland system (entirely made-up example) offers A+'s, and someone had an experience at UMaryland and knew of their grading policies, they could share that here, and maybe a TLS-er would choose to take their online course at UMaryland. I thought that this thread could be helpful in that way. I'm not lazy at all, thank you. I just don't have the time to check every website in the country. Think before you accuse.
1. It's always in the undergraduate catalog
2. I wasn't talking about you.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Sat May 21, 2011 11:21 pm

U.C. Davis gives A+'s

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat May 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Dany wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:I have honestly done quite a bit of research of all my surrounding schools to see if they offered A+'s. Schools don't always make it clear whether they offer A+'s or not on their website. Also, I'm not going to go on every state school website and check their grading policy. If say, the University of Maryland system (entirely made-up example) offers A+'s, and someone had an experience at UMaryland and knew of their grading policies, they could share that here, and maybe a TLS-er would choose to take their online course at UMaryland. I thought that this thread could be helpful in that way. I'm not lazy at all, thank you. I just don't have the time to check every website in the country. Think before you accuse.
1. It's always in the undergraduate catalog
2. I wasn't talking about you.
Fair enough. Still, if someone is looking for an online class to take I think it would be helpful to have this list as a resource. It isn't really going anywhere though, so oh well.

phillaw

New

Post by phillaw » Sat May 21, 2011 11:28 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
phillaw wrote:
OP here. Yeah, I would have agreed with you at first, but the more I have read on TLS it seems that all that schools care about is your LSAC GPA. Apparently, since the law schools only report your LSAC GPA to the rankings, that is what they care about and will not look down upon summer classes at a community college. With this in mind, I figured if I was going to take a summer class (I wasn't just doing it to boost my GPA) I mine as well look for a school that offered the 4.33 and maybe erase my A- from my GPA. I mean if the ability to get a 4.33 is out there, we mine as well try to take advantage of the situation, right?

EDIT: By all that schools care about is LSAC GPA, I meant grade-wise. Obviously the LSAT and softs are important too
hey, sure, might as well go for it if you're already planning on taking a summer class. never knew this was possible, learn something new everyday.

i still think it's extremely unfair for LSAC to allow this. but i say leverage loopholes when you can. so might as well. but remember 4.33 gpa means nothing when you have a low LSAT.

redwings15

New

Post by redwings15 » Sat May 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Actually, most classes at the University of Michigan do not give out A+s.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat May 21, 2011 11:37 pm

phillaw wrote:
No they would not be at a huge disadvantage because they would have a 4.0. Couple that with a great LSAT score and they could go to any school in the country. But I agree that it is unfair.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sun May 22, 2011 12:11 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
phillaw wrote:
No they would not be at a huge disadvantage because they would have a 4.0. Couple that with a great LSAT score and they could go to any school in the country. But I agree that it is unfair.
Right, but I'd say it is very unfair to kids in the 3.9 range, who would have all of their A-'s offset if their high A's were turned to A+'s. 3.9 -> 4.0 could easily be the difference at a top school.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun May 22, 2011 12:15 am

Yeah someone with a 3.9/no A+ grades should be outraged. Their cycle is screwed!

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sun May 22, 2011 12:19 am

Dany wrote:Yeah someone with a 3.9/no A+ grades should be outraged. Their cycle is screwed!
Just giving an example where it could make a difference.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:22 am

Eh, I have a hard time believing the difference between a 3.9 and 4.0 would make any sort of difference, even at hys

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sun May 22, 2011 12:27 am

dr123 wrote:Eh, I have a hard time believing the difference between a 3.9 and 4.0 would make any sort of difference, even at hys
Well, that would be good news then. As an upper-middle class white male without any superb softs, I found that in my UG application experience I was only admitted to the schools where I was around the 75th percentile for both the GPA and SAT. I assumed those at or below the medians are typically minorities, athletes (obviously irrelevant for law school, though), and legacies (especially at my school). After that experience, I aimed to attempt to stay above the 75th percentiles of my target schools. I know that that fall from 4.0 to 3.9 would put me below that at Harvard, not sure about Y or S. Idk if anyone else feels this way, but like I said at least for my own mindset, I think it is important to stay above the 75th percentiles and if you fall below it is a bit of a crapshoot.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun May 22, 2011 12:29 am

dr123 wrote:Eh, I have a hard time believing the difference between a 3.9 and 4.0 would make any sort of difference, even at hys
This. If you have an LSAT score and softs that are HYS-worthy, having a 3.9 won't hurt you. It's at/above median for all three.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:30 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
Well, that would be good news then. As an upper-middle class white male without any superb softs, I found that in my UG application experience I was only admitted to the schools where I was around the 75th percentile for both the GPA and SAT. I assumed those at or below the medians are typically minorities, athletes (obviously irrelevant for law school, though), and legacies (especially at my school). After that experience, I aimed to attempt to stay above the 75th percentiles of my target schools. I know that that fall from 4.0 to 3.9 would put me below that at Harvard, not sure about Y or S. Idk if anyone else feels this way, but like I said, at least for my own mindset, I think it is important to stay above the 75th percentiles, and if you fall below it is a bit of a crapshoot.
HYS rejects tons of 4.0s, you need something that separates you from the pack.

You're probably not going to get HYS just because you have a 4.0 and a 180

Kimchi_smile

New

Post by Kimchi_smile » Sun May 22, 2011 12:33 am

dr123 wrote:
You're probably not going to get HYS just because you have a 4.0 and a 180
Really? I thought a 4.0/180 was an auto-admit at Harvard, unless you wrote sth really stupid in the PS or had disciplinary record. Y and S, though, are unpredictable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”