26, Finance & Marketing Degrees+T30 Law Degree.UNEMPLOYED!!! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Unemployeddd

New

26, Finance & Marketing Degrees+T30 Law Degree.UNEMPLOYED!!!

Post by Unemployeddd » Wed May 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Ok,

I graduated from my T30 law school and still do not have a job. I have a degree in Finance and Marketing with no debt. I just graduated from my T-30 Law School with NO Debt. I have no job, no commitments, and no debt. At this point I do not think practicing law is the right thing for me.

What kind of jobs would I have a good chance at?

duckmoney

Silver

Re: 26, Finance & Marketing Degrees+T30 Law Degree.UNEMPLOYED!!!

Post by duckmoney » Wed May 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Unemployeddd wrote:Ok,

I graduated from my T30 law school and still do not have a job. I have a degree in Finance and Marketing with no debt. I just graduated from my T-30 Law School with NO Debt. I have no job, no commitments, and no debt. At this point I do not think practicing law is the right thing for me.

Finance and marketing.

Also, law.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Wed May 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Blogging.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed May 18, 2011 8:59 pm

duckmoney wrote:

Finance and marketing.

Also, law.
He didn't say he passed the bar. Also, he doesn't want to practice law. Also, nobody cares OP. Sorry.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Wed May 18, 2011 9:01 pm

What were your grades, your goals, and how have you gone about looking for a job?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed May 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Blort

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Hey, at least you have no debt.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Wed May 18, 2011 9:41 pm

I say: go teach comparative law in China.

-or-or-or-

go to med school. See if you get out of there without any debt. I double-whopper-cheese-dare you.

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Wed May 18, 2011 9:50 pm

management consulting or i-banking might be possibilities if you have fancy-name schools and good grades on your resume.

otherwise, regular banking might be a possibility (like, see if your local trust company has any openings, especially if you took any of the following in law school: T&E, sec regs, financial regulation, bankruptcy, secured transactions, real estate finance).

real estate sales might be a possibility if you're a smooth-talking schmoozer. obviously, real estate is not selling much these days, but it'll come back.

you could always teach high school civics, or teach business in a community college, or teach english in a third world country (popular among people who don't know what to do with their life).

You could also look into being a postman--they make like $58k and get serious benefits.

There's always the military, as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed May 18, 2011 9:52 pm

If Ashton Kutcher hadn't just snagged it, I'd say replace Charlie Sheen on 2 1/2 Men.

Unemployeddd

New

Post by Unemployeddd » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 pm

I would like to do consulting or banking but is that possible?

My UG degrees are from a reputable state school. My law degree is from a t25 with a lot of 'lay' prestige if that helps. Parents paid for UG and I had scholarships for law. Grades are top 40 percent.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 pm

the best job is at a company that will hire you

slacker

New

Post by slacker » Wed May 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Figure out what you want to do and pursue it. If you find out it isn't what you wanted, try something else. Eventually something will work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Thu May 19, 2011 12:18 am

What exactly is the major personality flaw you have that is preventing you from finding employment?

If you can find that out, then stop doing it, you'll be good to go.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu May 19, 2011 12:33 am

Unemployeddd wrote:I would like to do consulting or banking but is that possible?

My UG degrees are from a reputable state school. My law degree is from a t25 with a lot of 'lay' prestige if that helps. Parents paid for UG and I had scholarships for law. Grades are top 40 percent.
Times are tough at Notre Dame law.

I know a lot of people who doubled down on their degrees and got other masters degrees. If you could get a LLM from NYU, that'd make sense.

While I know you said you didn't want to practice law, you now run the risk of being over-credentialed for a lot of position. I know that seems silly, but there are plenty of business functions who will fear lawyers working in business functions as flight risks or entitled. They say you can do a lot with a law degree that isn't law. What they don't tell you is that its hard to get to that "a lot" without first practicing law.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Thu May 19, 2011 12:45 am

Forensic mortgage loan auditing is picking up steam. You could probably get a job doing that.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu May 19, 2011 12:58 am

Unemployeddd wrote:I would like to do consulting or banking but is that possible?

If you dont already have some kind of experience that shows an extremely strong analytical background (i.e. banking, econ think tank, corporate strategy, engineering, etc.) AND you graduated from law school without already being recruited by firms your chances of getting a gig in big consulting are extremely slim. A law school graduate would enter the firm at a level higher than a simple analyst (undergrad level) and it really doesnt sound like you have the qualifications for that.

Idk why TLS has it in its collective mind that consulting is some kind of fallback if you strike out in law but it most definitely is not.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 19, 2011 1:04 am

rundoxierun wrote:

If you dont already have some kind of experience that shows an extremely strong analytical background (i.e. banking, econ think tank, corporate strategy, engineering, etc.) AND you graduated from law school without already being recruited by firms your chances of getting a gig in big consulting are extremely slim. A law school graduate would enter the firm at a level higher than a simple analyst (undergrad level) and it really doesnt sound like you have the qualifications for that.

Idk why TLS has it in its collective mind that consulting is some kind of fallback if you strike out in law but it most definitely is not.
I don't know if TLS has a collective sense that consulting is a fallback, but if it does, then I agree with you that it is a terrible mindset. You need experience to consult. And if you are graduating law school straight from undergrad, what experience do you have that would be well-suited to clients?

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Thu May 19, 2011 1:16 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:You need experience to consult. And if you are graduating law school straight from undergrad, what experience do you have that would be well-suited to clients?
I agree that it might not be reasonable to say that consulting is a good fall back, but the bolded statement above is not true...just sayin. I worked in MBB consulting and am familiar with what types of people can make it in.

Consulting firms do recruit from law schools; whether OP's T30 school gives him a good chance is another question, but it's possible to get a few interviews based off of finance/marketing + law degree.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu May 19, 2011 11:12 am

glewz wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:You need experience to consult. And if you are graduating law school straight from undergrad, what experience do you have that would be well-suited to clients?
I agree that it might not be reasonable to say that consulting is a good fall back, but the bolded statement above is not true...just sayin. I worked in MBB consulting and am familiar with what types of people can make it in.

Consulting firms do recruit from law schools; whether OP's T30 school gives him a good chance is another question, but it's possible to get a few interviews based off of finance/marketing + law degree.
You really don't need experience to consult. That's one of the few business school-like jobs where you don't.

They just want "smart" people.

jdhonest

Bronze

Post by jdhonest » Thu May 19, 2011 11:27 am

Questions abound:

-have you ever had a job in the legal field
-did you look for a job or stop when you realized that it wasn't for you
-when did you realize that the field wasn't for you
-do you have ANY work experience
-where are you live, where do you have ties, and where do you want to be

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu May 19, 2011 11:33 am

joemoviebuff wrote:What were your grades, your goals, and how have you gone about looking for a job?
OP, you'll get better advice if you answer.

Dato

New

Post by Dato » Thu May 19, 2011 11:34 am

My UG degrees are from a reputable state school.
IU-Bloomington? Valid.

My law degree is from a t25 with a lot of 'lay' prestige if that helps. Notre Dame? Only valid among Catholic Midwesterners.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Thu May 19, 2011 11:38 am

robotclubmember wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:What were your grades, your goals, and how have you gone about looking for a job?
OP, you'll get better advice if you answer.
Except that OP is probably a flame.

Also, answers are in his OP:

Grades, Top 40%
Goals, dunno. Maybe consulting?
Method, none.

Unemployeddd

New

Post by Unemployeddd » Thu May 19, 2011 12:15 pm

I actually wish I would have gone into i-banking. My GPA was a 3.44, solid state school but at the time during UG I did not think I had much of a chance and did not actively pursue a position or internship in banking.

At this point, I am open to anything. I am just unsure as to which route to go. I plan on taking to the bar but I think continuing the legal route may not be my best option.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”