What do I need on my LSAT? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hoya2012

New

What do I need on my LSAT?

Post by hoya2012 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:28 am

Having just finished my junior year at Georgetown, I have a question about what LSAT I need to aim for in light of my less-than-stellar GPA. My GPA after this spring semester is a 3.17. I am planning on taking the LSAT in June, and then maybe again at the next offering if I need to, so that I can apply for law school next cycle (right out of undergrad). I have read a number of posts saying not to worry about 3.x GPA's because of upward trends. In my case, though, I do not show an upward trend (if anything slightly negative). This current semester is my lowest yet with a 2.58 (my other GPA's have been pretty consistent `3.2-3.3, but I'm not quite sure if this is low enough to write an addendum over - I was too heavily involved in 2 EC's this semester. I was on a planning board for a student-run conference, and VP of another organization). My question is what LSAT score I need to shoot for to have a chance at getting into a T14 school. My primary choice would be to go to Georgetown Law, but I would be pretty happy to get in to any of them honestly. Thoughts?

woeisme

Silver

Re: What do I need on my LSAT?

Post by woeisme » Mon May 16, 2011 10:34 am

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:47 am

Trend, upward or downward, means very little. GPA is what the schools count for their medians, so that's what they care about in most (nearly all) cases.

Assuming you are not URM and that 3.17 is your official LSDAS GPA, 172-173 looks like the lowest LSAT that gets you some T14 'consider' ratings on LSP: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm
HYS is out. CCN probably out unless you get a 178/179. Out at NU because you won't have work experience, unless you get a really high LSAT and they like your story. You can also trying ED-ing to a splitter-friendly (low GPA/high LSAT) school like UVA.

FYI, Georgetown is the lowest T14 (not counting Texas, because nobody does) and has relatively iffy employment statistics due to its gigantic class size. If you are aiming for T14, it should probably NOT be your "primary" choice.

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Mon May 16, 2011 10:51 am

I don't know if you will get any Top 14 with that GPA and "trend". But I am always confused by the What Do I Need Question. You need to do your best!

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:59 am

You probably need mid-170s at minimum.

If you really want to get into a T14 you should probably plan to take a year off, load up on super easy classes for your senior year and really work on pulling up that GPA. Then focus on studying for the LSAT while working/volunteering during the year you take off between UG and law school. If you can pull your GPA up to a 3.4 you might be able to get away with low-170s, but I'm not sure if that is even possible at this point. Remember too that your LSDAS GPA may be different from the GPA on your transcript. Mine got a slight boost because I had done well in some summer classes at another school that my school didn't give credit for, so they didn't appear on my transcript and were not part of my GPA.

The law school predictor website has a calculator you can use to try to figure out your LSDAS GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:30 am

rinkrat19 wrote:FYI, Georgetown is the lowest T14 (not counting Texas, because nobody does) FWIW Texas has a pretty solid 3.5 floor.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:09 pm

170 for Gtown, and probably for Michigan too, but Mich is a long shot no matter what your LSAT. You'll need more toward the mid 170's for Penn. Duke and Cornell probably won't bite no matter what. UVA will take you with a 170 + ED.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:170 for Gtown, and probably for Michigan too, but Mich is a long shot no matter what your LSAT. You'll need more toward the mid 170's for Penn. Duke and Cornell probably won't bite no matter what. UVA will take you with a 170 + ED.
I don't think UVA would bite with a 170 ED. Those circumstances are not the norm, but the exception. Also, how many of them are VA residents?

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon May 16, 2011 12:38 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:170 for Gtown, and probably for Michigan too, but Mich is a long shot no matter what your LSAT. You'll need more toward the mid 170's for Penn. Duke and Cornell probably won't bite no matter what. UVA will take you with a 170 + ED.
I don't think UVA would bite with a 170 ED. Those circumstances are not the norm, but the exception. Also, how many of them are VA residents?
UVA will probably bite with a 170 ED

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:40 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
In the past UVA took every >3.0 >170 applicant who ED'd. But last year they didn't take a couple. However, it seems like most of those were the "Late ED." If a person applies soon after the Oct LSAT with a 170,3.2 and an otherwise decent application (nothing good, nothing bad), I think they'll get in.

VA residents would get in without the ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”