Having doubts about a decision? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
d373

New

Having doubts about a decision?

Post by d373 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:59 pm

I chose one of MVPB over CCN with similiar $. The reasons were basically: culture, closer to home (and the market where I probably but not definitely want to work), closer to my SO (who will still be far away and isn't moving with me). I start classes in a couple of months and should be excited - and sometimes I really am but other times I feel a lot of regret at passing up a higher ranked school in a bigger city (NYC or Chi) etc. Anyone had a similar feelings? How did you overcome it to do well and enjoy (as much as its possible to enjoy 1L) your first year?

Sorry if it seems like I'm requesting a pep talk - maybe I am - if so its because lurking on TLS has been very helpful throughout this process and I wanted to finally post as I can't get this out of my head.

shoeshine

Silver

Re: Having doubts about a decision?

Post by shoeshine » Sat May 14, 2011 2:01 pm

I am in the same position. I drink heavily and pray everything works out.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat May 14, 2011 2:10 pm

I was in a similar situation, except I chose a far lower ranked school than MVP over the T6 school I got into. Sure, I has it in the back of my mind for awhile and I was bummed that I turned down the prestige of the higher ranked school. But you know what I did with it? I used it as motivation, and promised myself that I would be in no worse position for having picked the lower ranked school. It gave me an extra incentive to work hard. First semester, it paid off quite well, and if 2nd semester grades come back comparable, then my gamble will likely pay off (fingers crossed).

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat May 14, 2011 5:56 pm

let me guess.... you chose berkeley over CCN, probably NYU. edit: lol i'm probably wrong. very wrong. i didn't read your entire post.

I am one that firmly believes that there is so minor a statistical difference between MVPB and CCN that it really won't matter. Being happy is much more important because that will probably mean you will do much better at school. it's like - if 60% get jobs at CCN, and 55% get jobs at MVPB, then the only time it would matter is if you're that 55% student. If you end up being that student, then lol@yourlife!!!!!11111

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat May 14, 2011 6:17 pm

glitched wrote:I am one that firmly believes that there is so minor a statistical difference between MVPB and CCN that it really won't matter. Being happy is much more important because that will probably mean you will do much better at school. it's like - if 60% get jobs at CCN, and 55% get jobs at MVPB, then the only time it would matter is if you're that 55% student. If you end up being that student, then lol@yourlife!!!!!11111
Ha, +1. Honestly, I think the distinction between CCN and MVPB (and DNC for that matter) is way overplayed on these forums. If you're not looking at HYS, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to choose between any of the remaining T14 (/13) based on personal fit and career goals, assuming the cost is relatively similar. CCN may enjoy a slight placement edge, but IMO it's not worth the price of happiness if you'd rather be somewhere else.

d373

New

Post by d373 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks!

I think the brass ring of highest ranked school keeps distracting me from the fact that job prospects are very similar from CCN to MVPB given the same spot in the class - unless of course that spot is 45th percentile in which case...LOL@my life indeed. Time to enjoy the QOL and make sure I do as well as I can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”