New case affecting law school admissions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Renzo

Gold

Re: New case affecting law school admissions

Post by Renzo » Wed May 11, 2011 11:48 am

blowhard wrote: Yeah. Rote memorization is basically impossible for me (I don't know my own home phone number without looking, and I'm prone to forget my own birthday), but organization and systems of things are easy.
You should read http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Book-Class ... 0345410025. It's the exact opposite of Rote. You'd probably be killer at remembering numbers if you ordered them into a visual system. May sound crazy...but this kind of system actually works. I read this book when I was 12 and can still recite the 25 random word list in the first chapter without ever having looked at it again. When I was still in practice for coming up with the words...I could remember up to like 50 digits after a single reading. Came in handy reading serial numbers off doors when I was stationed in ND and it was -35. Used to just go back to the truck and call them all in one at a time from memory.[/quote]

I've never seen that particular book, but I've seen articles and such about memory techniques. I just have a hard time getting excited about learning to remember things that I could write down and look up when I need them.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:55 am

Renzo wrote:
blowhard wrote: Yeah. Rote memorization is basically impossible for me (I don't know my own home phone number without looking, and I'm prone to forget my own birthday), but organization and systems of things are easy.
You should read http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Book-Class ... 0345410025. It's the exact opposite of Rote. You'd probably be killer at remembering numbers if you ordered them into a visual system. May sound crazy...but this kind of system actually works. I read this book when I was 12 and can still recite the 25 random word list in the first chapter without ever having looked at it again. When I was still in practice for coming up with the words...I could remember up to like 50 digits after a single reading. Came in handy reading serial numbers off doors when I was stationed in ND and it was -35. Used to just go back to the truck and call them all in one at a time from memory.
I've never seen that particular book, but I've seen articles and such about memory techniques. I just have a hard time getting excited about learning to remember things that I could write down and look up when I need them.[/quote]

Yeah, that's why I've kind of fallen out of using it so much as I have the ability to write down. But, it's still useful here and again when someone gives me a phone number and I don't have a pen, etc.

nphsbuckeye

Bronze

Post by nphsbuckeye » Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 pm

blowhard wrote:You should read http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Book-Class ... 0345410025. It's the exact opposite of Rote. You'd probably be killer at remembering numbers if you ordered them into a visual system. May sound crazy...but this kind of system actually works. I read this book when I was 12 and can still recite the 25 random word list in the first chapter without ever having looked at it again. When I was still in practice for coming up with the words...I could remember up to like 50 digits after a single reading. Came in handy reading serial numbers off doors when I was stationed in ND and it was -35. Used to just go back to the truck and call them all in one at a time from memory.
Sweet, that's the book Jerry Lucas wrote. /hijack

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu May 12, 2011 10:33 pm

kwais wrote:Did anyone notice the "logic games comprises 60 of the 180 points" part?
I did :shock:

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Even if he can't diagram LG you can still get a least half of the questions right without diagramming.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu May 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Can I be eligible to take this LG less LSAT? I would easily score into the 170s. I hate LG more than this guy.

thekid001

New

Post by thekid001 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Has anyone ever seen Arrested Developement when Maggie Lizerassoff (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) pretends to be blind to get accomodations on the LSAT? She continues to pretend to be blind after she becomes an attorney to get sympathy from the jury. This story reminded me of that.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu May 12, 2011 11:11 pm

thekid001 wrote:Has anyone ever seen Arrested Developement when Maggie Lizerassoff (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) pretends to be blind to get accomodations on the LSAT? She continues to pretend to be blind after she becomes an attorney to get sympathy from the jury. This story reminded me of that.
One of many truly great episodes.

YaSvoboden

Bronze

Post by YaSvoboden » Fri May 13, 2011 4:03 am

kwais wrote:Did anyone notice the "logic games comprises 60 of the 180 points" part?
Yeah, that caught my attention. It's one of three section types, and the tops score is 180, so it must be worth 60...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Fri May 13, 2011 7:00 am

YaSvoboden wrote:
Yeah, that caught my attention. It's one of three section types, and the tops score is 180, so it must be worth 60...
This would be a fun LSAT question. What is the flaw in this argument?

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Fri May 13, 2011 7:46 pm

He has been denied admission to law school five times because of his LSAT scores. His latest rejection was April 28 by the University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law. Previously, he was denied admission to the Thomas Cooley Law School, Wayne State University Law School and two other times at UD-Mercy, he said.

“All I want to do is attend law school and some day work in the area of civil rights,” said Binno.
Fucking lol.

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Tue May 24, 2011 5:46 pm

I've read memory books and I'm able to memorize long list of obscure things with the use of mnemonics. However, it would take me years to be able to properly diagram logic games in my head and remember every single rule and their interaction with each other and complete the section in under 35 minutes. Looking at it in this manner, to me, it's clear that this is a huge disadvantage for blind test takers. Don't know if a lawsuit is necessary though. The guy or gal should definitely receive special accommodations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”