Want to work on Capitol Hill. What should I do? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: Want to work on Capitol Hill. What should I do?

Post by ResolutePear » Wed May 11, 2011 1:21 am

If you want to work on the hill, get people to vote for you.

Obviously, you'll have to start off as a lowly state rep, but - hey, you have to start somewhere.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed May 11, 2011 1:07 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:Don't go to law school.

gwu1996

New

Post by gwu1996 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:45 pm

sundance95 wrote:
krasivaya wrote:What do you want to do in DC?

If it's not anything remotely law-related (eg: working on a campaign or doing constituent work), I would rethink going to law school altogether.

I know a lot of people who got great gigs in DC from networking fiercely during internships at the capitol.
This this this. What exactly are you looking to do on the Hill? Chief of staff or something like that? In that case, the way to do it is to run a campaign that unseats an incumbent. Unless it's specifically law related a JD is not a great idea.
DC is a small town. You'll make your connections through networking and there's a lot of overlap between groups (Capitol Hill, World Bank, IMF, etc.). $60k is a lot of dough to turn down, though.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed May 11, 2011 10:46 pm

TLSNYC wrote:I know MPP/MPA aren't the most useful degrees, but perhaps they could better suit your interests? A JD from NDLS seems like a lot of money for a job that doesn't seem to come easily to people with that credential.
I have an Ivy MPA for about $30k. It looks like it would be useful around state capital/DC so far. Sure we are only ranked in the 20th, but I think employment outlook is better than a non-T14 LS.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed May 11, 2011 10:51 pm

ResolutePear wrote:If you want to work on the hill, get people to vote for you.

Obviously, you'll have to start off as a lowly state rep, but - hey, you have to start somewhere.
Legislative Aid or on the staff of a challenger would do the trick. Get involved in local politics, and get hooked with a House candidate. Go from there. Actually no degree is needed, but a good regional/local MPA will get you in touch with local politics. Courses may or may not be useful but the networking is worth it.

I think the best way to get to DC would be through an internship (again having local connections would be great) or be brought to DC by local pols.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”