Getting a NON LEGAL for summer after 1L? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Northeast

New

Getting a NON LEGAL for summer after 1L?

Post by Northeast » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:21 pm

I am going to be attending a T30 law school on a near ride. I am pretty positive that I do not want to practice law with my degree but to go into commercial real estate/management. My goal would be to join a firm/group in a place like DC and then try to branch off and do my own thing.

Would I have trouble finding an internship with a group such as this during my 1L summer? Would they look at a law degree as a positive?

I know some will say that I should forgo LS, however, I want a graduate degree and since my UG majors are both in business I figured that a law degree would be the smarter way to go, plus its pretty much free - the opportunity cost.

Looking for any thoughts.

awilson11

Bronze

Re: Getting a NON LEGAL for summer after 1L?

Post by awilson11 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Northeast wrote:I am going to be attending a T30 law school on a near ride. I am pretty positive that I do not want to practice law with my degree but to go into commercial real estate/management. My goal would be to join a firm/group in a place like DC and then try to branch off and do my own thing.

Would I have trouble finding an internship with a group such as this during my 1L summer? Would they look at a law degree as a positive?

I know some will say that I should forgo LS, however, I want a graduate degree and since my UG majors are both in business I figured that a law degree would be the smarter way to go, plus its pretty much free - the opportunity cost.

Looking for any thoughts.
I don't see how a law degree helps at all with commercial real estate. Go work in real estate and get an MBA, which is business administration, should tie in with your desire to do management.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”