Noobcake question about admissions/prep Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eaglemuncher

Bronze

Re: Noobcake question about admissions/prep

Post by eaglemuncher » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:42 pm

I'll assume you were enlisted as well, seeing as you attended school after your service.

OldTymeyFaceSmasher

New

Post by OldTymeyFaceSmasher » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:43 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:I'll assume you were enlisted as well, seeing as you attended school after your service.
Yeah, US Navy. I worked on weapon systems. I dismantled airplanes without a wrench.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:43 pm

OldTymeyFaceSmasher wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
You won't be able to use the prep class to its full effectiveness on this schedule. Even with a course, you need to spend just as much, if not more, time out of class doing your own preparation. The course is mainly useful to give you a structured schedule to study and gives you some level of accountability to try and finish homework. I personally found taking a course helpful, but many other succeed without it so it's really a question of what type of learner you are. But regardless of which route you go, I definitely recommend saving up and leaving your job if you're serious about going to law school. If you put your full devotion to studying for the LSAT, you can easily break into the T-14 with a 170+ (it takes serious dedication though)
I don't think I could do that. I need to work for as long as possible, and save up as much as possible, if/when I get accepted to a school and have to move, etc. I don't have any help -- my parents aren't around to help, I've got a daughter I'm trying to support financially (and in other ways, obviously, but long distance sucks, don't ever move away from your kids if you have any, take a job collecting garbage cans if you have to).

I'm pretty much on my own, so I have to save up cash to have that buffer if I need it. I graduated with practically no student loan debt from UG (less than 8k). All of this means, of course, that I'll be studying for the LSAT around my work schedule. So being ready by June is probably not realistic.
Remember that there is no content whatsoever on the LSAT. It is all logic and reading comprehension. All it actually tests is your ability to apply logic very, very quickly and precisely.

So you do need to practice. It is a race and you need to be very fast. That being said, you might be good to go sooner than you think. Have you tried a practice test yet? I never did these courses, and they seem to have helped a lot of people. You seem like a... relatively disciplined individual. I'd give it a go solo, see how your practice test, then decide?

edit: lol, okay, I just realized I'm pushing a new guy. I'm 3 margaritas in. Best of luck.

eaglemuncher

Bronze

Post by eaglemuncher » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Well good luck to you OP

OldTymeyFaceSmasher

New

Post by OldTymeyFaceSmasher » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:51 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:Well good luck to you OP
Thanks man. Also, go Eagles.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eminem

New

Post by eminem » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:55 pm

I would echo the conventional wisdom about schools caring more about LSAT than veteran status, but it seems that holds true with virtually all soft factors. Aside from a couple of courtesy waitlists that should have been rejects based on numbers alone, I hewed pretty close to what was expected based on LSN and lawschoolpredictor.

OldTymeyFaceSmasher

New

Post by OldTymeyFaceSmasher » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 pm

eminem wrote:I would echo the conventional wisdom about schools caring more about LSAT than veteran status, but it seems that holds true with virtually all soft factors. Aside from a couple of courtesy waitlists that should have been rejects based on numbers alone, I hewed pretty close to what was expected based on LSN and lawschoolpredictor.
TBH I don't really expect any of my softs to be noteworthy. I'm a vet, I've worked since I was 17, I worked to put myself through college. But I still had it pretty easy compared to some people, I think. I mean, there's always that Cherokee quadriplegic single mother of 5 that you're competing against. So I guess I just have to crush the LSAT.

OldTymeyFaceSmasher

New

Post by OldTymeyFaceSmasher » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Bumping because I have another question, and hopefully someone is still reading this, haha.

How do GRE test questions compare to LSAT test questions?

For example, I took the GRE and scored in the 96% percentile for the reading comprehension. Can I expect a similar score on the LSAT? Are the questions "similar" enough to where I should pick them right up? I've looked at sample LSAT questions on line and they seem comparable at first glance, though of course I'm hesitant to make assumptions.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:22 pm

OldTymeyFaceSmasher wrote:Bumping because I have another question, and hopefully someone is still reading this, haha.

How do GRE test questions compare to LSAT test questions?

For example, I took the GRE and scored in the 96% percentile for the reading comprehension. Can I expect a similar score on the LSAT? Are the questions "similar" enough to where I should pick them right up? I've looked at sample LSAT questions on line and they seem comparable at first glance, though of course I'm hesitant to make assumptions.
LSAT is 100% different. Logic games/Logical reasoning especially.

I haven't taken the GRE but I can't imagine reading comp being THAT different though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”