Applying as early as possible in the cycle vs. October LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bartleby

Silver

Re: Applying as early as possible in the cycle vs. October LSAT

Post by bartleby » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:08 pm

October LSAT? doesn't matter at all.

December LSAT? probably doesn't matter at all.

lol, if you're one of those low 3.0 GPA / mid-high 160 splitters targeting LSAT friendly schools, February probably would even be okay. if you're gunning for a T14 though, IDK.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:10 pm

bhan87 wrote:Better LSAT >>>>>>>>> Applying early.

Fwiw, I applied to Berkeley on a DECEMBER LSAT and was admitted. The only school I was hurt at due to a late app was UChicago (which over-accepted in the first two rounds of apps this cycle apparently)
I'm sorry, but depending on OP's numbers, and the schools he/she is applying to, this could be flat out wrong. If you're an extreme splitter looking at WUSTL, applying in September with a 170/2.9 or something is likely to yield the same result as applying with a 2.9/176, which would be like 54k. You mention splitter friendly schools, so I assume WUSTL is one of them. If you're above a 3.0 and 170, then the same holds true, but with 84k. Absolutely do not wait until later for 1 point if you're already above the median, and especially if you're already above the 75th. I think this forum has spent so long stressing how important the LSAT is that it's actually become overrated in the minds of splitters.

dukey

New

Post by dukey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:59 pm

dukey wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
dukey wrote:
bhan87 wrote:Fwiw, I applied to Berkeley on a DECEMBER LSAT and was admitted.
OP, do not listen to this.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/berring-interview.html
Interview with Dean Berring (former dean):
TLS: Can you please offer any general advice to law school applicants?
Dean Berring: Get your damn application in early!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html
Interview with Dean Tom (current dean):
TLS: Excellent. And then, the concluding question: any additional advice that you’d like to offer applicants when they apply for the next academic year?
Dean Tom: “Yes. You must apply early. Even though we don’t have an early decision program, the early bird does catch the worm here.

--> No law school stresses applying early like Berkeley's does. So yes, apply early. And even if you choose to take the Oct LSAT, your score will still get to them likely before your admission decision comes out.
I don't ever recommend applying later than you should in my post man :roll:

However, I firmly believe taking a later LSAT to get a better score is highly preferable to applying early for applying early's sake. December is the latest, but October or before is preferable.
My bad - sorry bhan.

OP, get your app in and then retake - there's a spot on the Berk app where you can indicate this.

Dean Tom says this: “They should apply as early as possible anyway, and then retake the LSAT later on. There is a space on our application form for applicants to indicate when they have taken or will take the LSAT, and so that tells my staff to hold the file open.”
Actually hold on, for Berk, they specifically say October...so I'd highly recommend against applying After taking the Dec LSAT. So yeah..I do stand by what I wrote.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”