Haven't Heard from THREE Schools.... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
noahzak

New

Haven't Heard from THREE Schools....

Post by noahzak » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

So I'm in at Pepperdine, but haven't heard from USC, UCLA or USD. This is the strange thing: I've called all three and they refuse to admit to me that I've been rejected and instead tell me they aren't done reviewing my file and I have to wait until mid-April to hear the decision.

W.T.F?? I would sooner hear a "no" from all three of these schools and put down my Pepperdine deposit than to keep waiting. Does anyone else have any experience with this? I am so confused at why they are stringing me along?

buckilaw

Silver

Re: Haven't Heard from THREE Schools....

Post by buckilaw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:40 pm

It's obviously a conspiracy. I suggest further investigation. Alert the NYT with your findings.

noahzak

New

Post by noahzak » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:48 pm

That is really funny and all, but seeing as how this is slightly important to me, I was looking for a serious answer. Thanks.

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:51 pm

noahzak wrote:That is really funny and all, but seeing as how this is slightly important to me, I was looking for a serious answer. Thanks.
I can assure you that you are not the first nor the last to have this happen. I can also assure you that there is probably no concise answer other than they are swamped with apps. and just haven't gotten to yours yet...

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:52 pm

noahzak wrote:That is really funny and all, but seeing as how this is slightly important to me, I was looking for a serious answer. Thanks.
Not that unusual. Some schools simply take a lot longer to make decisions than others. When did you apply to all of these schools?

I waited up until late-April for two decisions. No easy way to handle it really other than that you just have to think whether the schools you are waiting on are really schools that you want to go to. With seat deposit deadlines and the like coming up (or past) at the schools you are already in, you just have to make a decision whether you really want to wait.

Unfortunately, you can't just ask the schools for a decision right now because there may be other extenuating circumstances to making a decision on your application (i.e. you are a good candidate but they want to hang on and wait until other candidates apply, etc.)

Hope that is an answer to your question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LettuceBeefRealTea

New

Post by LettuceBeefRealTea » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:53 pm

it is the jews.
unless you're jewish, then idk.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:53 pm

They're stringing you along because
noahzak wrote:they aren't done reviewing my file
HTH

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:58 pm

You aren't the only one in this boat. They will get back to you when they get back to, and they are in the position of power here.

noahzak

New

Post by noahzak » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:02 pm

awilson11 wrote:
You aren't the only one in this boat. They will get back to you when they get back to, and they are in the position of power here.
I haven't heard from 9 schools so I beat you. They don't care how many deposits you have due. Some schools don't get back to you until April 30th. I called too and e-mailed and asked for a decision so I wouldn't have to pay a $1000 non-refundable deposit. They said "we are trying to get the majority of decisions sent out sometime in April"

spicymeatball111

New

Post by spicymeatball111 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:06 pm

if it starts coming down to the wire and you still havent heard, you should just put the deposit down at Pepperdine. If you get into USC/UCLA, awesome, go there, definitely worth the 300-500 to save your seat. I understand that it is money you should not have to spend, but if you went to Pepperdine you would have to pay it anyway, and if you got into USC/UCLA, you'll be so happy that you won't care much.

noahzak

New

Post by noahzak » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:16 pm

spicymeatball111 wrote:if it starts coming down to the wire and you still havent heard, you should just put the deposit down at Pepperdine. If you get into USC/UCLA, awesome, go there, definitely worth the 300-500 to save your seat. I understand that it is money you should not have to spend, but if you went to Pepperdine you would have to pay it anyway,
and if you got into USC/UCLA, you'll be so happy that you won't care much.
That is what I was thinking of doing- at this point, it really comes down to me just wanting some peace of mind, because I am happy going to Pepperdine and anything else would be a nice surprise. Thanks for all the responses though, I see that I'm not the only one this is happening to.

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:29 pm

noahzak wrote:
spicymeatball111 wrote:if it starts coming down to the wire and you still havent heard, you should just put the deposit down at Pepperdine. If you get into USC/UCLA, awesome, go there, definitely worth the 300-500 to save your seat. I understand that it is money you should not have to spend, but if you went to Pepperdine you would have to pay it anyway,
and if you got into USC/UCLA, you'll be so happy that you won't care much.
That is what I was thinking of doing- at this point, it really comes down to me just wanting some peace of mind, because I am happy going to Pepperdine and anything else would be a nice surprise. Thanks for all the responses though, I see that I'm not the only one this is happening to.
I almost think they do this on purpose so they'll get more $$ out of us. Some of my apps have been complete for 3 months and I've still heard nothing. I've already accepted the fact that I may have to put down 2-3 non-refundable deposits. spicymeatball is right though, in the end, if you get into your dream school, it's well worth it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sonervous88

Bronze

Post by sonervous88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:31 pm

i've been complete everywhere since november. still haven't heard from two schools. trust me. i get it lol

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:37 pm

I only applied about two months ago, but I've only heard from 8 schools, still 7 to go.

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:57 pm

No word from UCLA, UChi, Yale, and a few others im not considering anymore. UCLA & Yale I applied back in sept -> complete october. You're not alone.

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:57 pm

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:No word from UCLA, UChi, Yale, and a few others im not considering anymore. UCLA & Yale I applied back in sept -> complete october. You're not alone.
Yeah, from what everyone is saying it actually sounds like we're all together! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:59 pm

April 15th seems to be a common response to those seeking admission decisions. Probably because many law schools have a seat deposit deadline of April 15th so they know how many seats remain available.

ucbexp

New

Post by ucbexp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:16 pm

It wouldn't hurt trying to request a reasonable deposit extension from Pepperdine in order to give yourself a little more cushion. The schools understand the politics behind admissions, and some of them are a little more flexible than you'd expect.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:19 pm

maybe you're a special snowflake... nah, prob not

noahzak

New

Post by noahzak » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:48 pm

ucbexp wrote:It wouldn't hurt trying to request a reasonable deposit extension from Pepperdine in order to give yourself a little more cushion. The schools understand the politics behind admissions, and some of them are a little more flexible than you'd expect.
Will definitely be asking them about this...

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiUqfxFttM

The whole "April / May" thing is very apropos.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”