Need some advice on summer internships Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ert5

New

Need some advice on summer internships

Post by ert5 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi all, I am a third year college student who will be applying to top law schools this September but have a question on internships.

I just got a call from a well-regarded non-profit organization (TFA) but am now weighing this option against returning to an internship I did last year in a prestigious government agency (with an opportunity to serve in a small leadership role and a strong letter of recommendation). I feel really lucky to have gotten both options but am not sure whether it is better to do two separate internships in two summers or to do the same internship over two summers. Can anyone chime in as to the impact his might have on my chances this upcoming fall? I'm really torn between the two options right now, especially as one is way across the country.

ladybug89

Bronze

Re: Need some advice on summer internships

Post by ladybug89 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Is the TFA internship that sort of management position at their summer training institute? Or what is it?

ert5

New

Post by ert5 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:57 pm

its an internship as an Operations Coordinator (so yes, it is at summer institute).

I understand that internships have a minimal impact on Law admissions in general, but I'm really trying to look at all the factors before I make my decision.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Which one you take will make absolutely zero difference.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:40 pm

It depends on what schools you're aiming at. For most, it doesn't really matter what internship you do, but for the very top ranked ones softs/PS can make a difference. From what I've heard, the TFA operations internship is really a gofer type of thing. You just manage the program, run errands, blahblah, nothing really substantive and it'll probably be boring. If you've got a cool gig already going that you can get real experience and a rec letter out of, I'd say go for that. (Again, with the caution that it likely doesn't matter. But you might as well enjoy yourself and get some skills out of whatever you do!)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”