Americorp Q Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dadownclub8

New

Americorp Q

Post by dadownclub8 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:33 pm

I'm not sure, but do you think it would weigh significantly on someone's application if they chose to end their Americorp service early? (ie. could be resignation, termination, etc) Is this something that needs to be addressed or is it like any other work situation where you really don't need to?

Perplexed Penguin

New

Re: Americorp Q

Post by Perplexed Penguin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:05 pm

How much time you got left and have you applied to schools already? I am in AmeriCorps right now, so I am probably bias on how I view quitting, but I would say suck it up and finish your service. You made a 10-12 month commitment and you should honor it unless you have a good reason to not finish it. If you don't like your organization you can work with AmeriCorps to transfer. I don't know how schools will view quitting, but they are aware that it is a one year commitment so it may be looked at negatively in comparison to other jobs.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:24 pm

dadownclub8 wrote:I'm not sure, but do you think it would weigh significantly on someone's application if they chose to end their Americorp service early? (ie. could be resignation, termination, etc) Is this something that needs to be addressed or is it like any other work situation where you really don't need to?
Quite a few applications ask something along the lines of "Have you ever been terminated from a job, professional association, or school for cause? Explain." or "If there are significant gaps in your resume, please address them." or "What have you been doing with your time since undergrad besides watching South Park?" Just be aware of that.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:26 pm

aspire2more wrote:
dadownclub8 wrote:I'm not sure, but do you think it would weigh significantly on someone's application if they chose to end their Americorp service early? (ie. could be resignation, termination, etc) Is this something that needs to be addressed or is it like any other work situation where you really don't need to?
Quite a few applications ask something along the lines of "Have you ever been terminated from a job, professional association, or school for cause? Explain." or "If there are significant gaps in your resume, please address them." or "What have you been doing with your time since undergrad besides watching South Park?" Just be aware of that.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:57 am

Please tell me you are not a current Corps member who spelled AmeriCorps wrong... Let me guess you pronounce is Ameri-Corpse too don't you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:23 am

JDndMSW wrote:
Please tell me you are not a current Corps member who spelled AmeriCorps wrong... Let me guess you pronounce is Ameri-Corpse too don't you?
Only a true AmeriCorps member knows how to pronounce it properly (or at least the way we want). 8)

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:43 am

finish your service year...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”