Drinking in the dorms? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Disclose this bitch?

Yes
52%
No
34%
Unsure
14%

Total votes: 29

RockyIII

Bronze

Drinking in the dorms?

Post by RockyIII » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:55 am

Just looking for some general advice.

When I was 18 years old, I was caught drinking in the dorms with a few friends in UG. I had to meet with my residential director and take a little on-line thing through the school, but was never arrested/charged with a crime and the police were not involved in any way. As far as I know, this incident is not on my record.

Is this something I would need to disclose to the bar / law school? My gut is telling me no, but I just wanted to play things on the safe side.
Last edited by RockyIII on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

barry

Bronze

Re: Drinking in the dorms?

Post by barry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:56 am

Always Disclose.... no school will give a shit but it can hurt you at C&F if you don't

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:58 am

Nope. Though if you do disclose they won't care (unless this was a recurring event).

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:00 pm

barry wrote:Always Disclose.... no school will give a shit but it can hurt you at C&F if you don't
+1
/thread

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Call the school to make sure that it's not on your record. If they confirm that there's no record of it, there's no issue!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:05 pm

RockyIII wrote:Just looking for some general advice.

When I was 18 years old, I was caught drinking in the dorms with a few friends in UG. I had to meet with my residential director and take a little on-line thing through the school, but was never arrested/charged with a crime and the police were not involved in any way. As far as I know, this incident is not on my record.

Is this something I would need to disclose to the bar / law school? My gut is telling me no, but I just wanted to play things on the safe side.
Contact your college and get a letter from the dean confirming their disciplinary procedures and that you don't need to disclose it. After you get into the school of your choice, go to the law school dean and disclose out of an abundance of caution. On the first day they typically have a "now is the time to disclose things" session.

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm

Sorry should have specified, already have seat deposit down at a school.

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 pm

FWIW I got accepted to a number of good schools with a page full of stupid crap like this, and many others do too. Not a C&F issue=nobody cares, and they will appreciate your forthrightness. That said, I think it looks silly to disclose things they didn't ask for. Don't disclose if the app doesn't contain language asking if you've ever received a University "warning or reprimand" or something similar. Your situation sounds like a reprimand to me. Why risk appearing dishonest when, again, nobody cares.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:24 pm

loblaw wrote:FWIW I got accepted to a number of good schools with a page full of stupid crap like this, and many others do too. Not a C&F issue=nobody cares, and they will appreciate your forthrightness. That said, I think it looks silly to disclose things they didn't ask for. Don't disclose if the app doesn't contain language asking if you've ever received a University "warning or reprimand" or something similar. Your situation sounds like a reprimand to me. Why risk appearing dishonest when, again, nobody cares.

+11111111111111111111
Double check the app and follow suit. its not a big deal!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Disclose Disclose Disclose

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

Contact your college and get a letter from the dean confirming their disciplinary procedures and that you don't need to disclose it. After you get into the school of your choice, go to the law school dean and disclose out of an abundance of caution. On the first day they typically have a "now is the time to disclose things" session.

really?

too old for this sh*

Bronze

Post by too old for this sh* » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:11 pm

zla2014 wrote:Call the school to make sure that it's not on your record. If they confirm that there's no record of it, there's no issue!
Never take information given in a phone call at face value...even if advised in writing it does not exist, the record DOES exist tangentially by virtue of the letter of inquiry (which will be saved on a server somewhere).

In this day and age of older records being imaged, it is not at all uncommon to be told verbally that something does not exist only to find out it DID and DOES exist but was not on the computer at the time of the conversation. While not college-related, I know we have had records in a District Clerk's office that pre-dated their imaging process...and despite being told they were unable to locate the file due to a flood in the basement several years earlier, the website soon had the full imaged history of a case from 1980 or 1981.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:24 pm

Perch wrote: really?
Really.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:26 pm

jkay wrote:
Perch wrote: really?
Really.
What kinda things do you disclose? Like I said I worked 30 hrs a week during undergrad but it was more like 20?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”