Addendum- Justified excuse for low LSAT score? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hle413

New

Addendum- Justified excuse for low LSAT score?

Post by hle413 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 pm

deleted.
Last edited by hle413 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

loblaw

Bronze

Re: Addendum- Justified excuse for low LSAT score?

Post by loblaw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:04 pm

You're in a tough position. I wrote a very concise LSAT addendum, and I can say at least it did not hurt me. You must do it extremely succinctly without sounding like you are throwing a pity party or saying anything that would lead the adcomms to question your fitness for law school

I would be remiss if I did not say that a much better option would be to get a school to sponsor you for another retake.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Why do you need an addendum ? Any school that will take a 153 wont care about 2 lower scores, as far as I know.

hle413

New

Post by hle413 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm afraid that schools will look down on my app because my score actually dropped the second time I took it.
Last edited by hle413 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:27 am

I would write the addendum, it couldn't hurt. I would definitely go into detail a bit more about why it impacted your score. I was ill for the February exam so I didn't take it because I was afraid my score would drop because I wasn't feeling right. I just sent a simple letter to all three explaining my absence. Unfortunately, all of the schools haven't decided on me yet, so I can't tell you how that went. I scored a 159 in December and I prepped as hard as I could, but my mother had passed away from cancer in July so it was the best I could do now. I didn't not explain that in an addendum; however, my PS was on my mother's illness/death. Anyway, point is, you need to make the adcomm believe you that you dropped because you were too distracted for good reasons and didn't just refuse to suck it up or are trying to make excuses. I'd write it and then post it so people can read.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:18 am

omfg. You guys are so stupid. Obvious troll.

hle413

New

Post by hle413 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:46 am

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I would write the addendum, it couldn't hurt. I would definitely go into detail a bit more about why it impacted your score. I was ill for the February exam so I didn't take it because I was afraid my score would drop because I wasn't feeling right. I just sent a simple letter to all three explaining my absence. Unfortunately, all of the schools haven't decided on me yet, so I can't tell you how that went. I scored a 159 in December and I prepped as hard as I could, but my mother had passed away from cancer in July so it was the best I could do now. I didn't not explain that in an addendum; however, my PS was on my mother's illness/death. Anyway, point is, you need to make the adcomm believe you that you dropped because you were too distracted for good reasons and didn't just refuse to suck it up or are trying to make excuses. I'd write it and then post it so people can read.
Wow. Im sorry to hear that. My condolences. I basically wrote out a letter merely stating the facts and that my obligation to my family during this period in my life was very important and my performance on the LSAT suffered as a result.

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:24 am

If you're fresh out of undergrad or still in undergrad, just wait the 1-2 years and take the exam when you're better able to handle your situation. I believe you can only take 3 exams within a 2 year period.

Because an employer wouldn't excuse a poor performance on the job due to those circumstances, and it's unlikely that a law school would do the same. My condolences for your situation.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:32 pm

hle413 wrote: Wow. Im sorry to hear that. My condolences. I basically wrote out a letter merely stating the facts and that my obligation to my family during this period in my life was very important and my performance on the LSAT suffered as a result.
Make sure to also talk about why the family obligations won't affect your performance in law school. Has your family dealt with the issue? Gone to counseling? Include something to show the school that you won't have lingering issues, preventing you from doing well in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

I just got admitted to one school today, so obviously my letter regarding my February was absence wasn't taken too badly.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:54 am

Option 1:
tehrocstar wrote:If you're fresh out of undergrad or still in undergrad, just wait the 1-2 years and take the exam when you're better able to handle your situation. I believe you can only take 3 exams within a 2 year period.
Option 2:

Study more, study smarter. When you raise your score by at least 10 points, get a special permission from any school you are going to apply to to take the LSAT for the 4th time. Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”