BOALT possible? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pbutta123

New

BOALT possible?

Post by pbutta123 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:40 pm

I have 3.5 (3.76) and three test scores: 165,160, 176. I leave this June for South America to volunteer for the year so I will be applying early September/August 2011. I've looked at Boalt's history and found they definitely lean toward GPA splitters over LSAT splitters. What do you guys think?
Also, what about an ED to Columbia?
Most of all, I either want to attend school & practice in NorCal or NY/Bost. Where do you people suggest to apply?

bhan87

Silver

Re: BOALT possible?

Post by bhan87 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:42 pm

pbutta123 wrote: I have 3.5 (3.76) and and three test scores 165,160 176. I leave this June for South America to volunteer for a year so I will be apply early September/August 2011. I've looked at BOALTs history and found they definitely lean toward GPA splitters over LSAT splitters. What do you guys think?
Also, what about an ED to Columbia?
Most of all, I either want to attend school & practice in NorCal or NY/Bost. What do you people suggest?
I think you'd have a better chance at CLS than Boalt. If you don't mind paying sticker, ED is worth a shot.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 pm

I imagine with that 176 you have some shot at both Boalt and Columbia (i.e. definitely worth the apps IMO), though percentage-wise I really don't want to wager a guess. The GPA is pretty rough territory at Boalt, but most schools now take highest LSAT and yours is extremely strong. I think Columbia might be one of the few schools that averages multiple LSATs, but I am not sure about that. It probably shouldn't be too hard to find out. If Columbia does actually average, then I think the lower LSAT scores could hurt you quite a bit at Columbia. IDK though, I'm not sure that any school really averages LSATs any more, but some schools do say that consider all LSATs in the decision process, and I thought either NYU or Columbia maybe indicated that they actually still average them. Perhaps someone else can give a more definite response on that. I am also not the best person to talk about how ED at Columbia may impact your chances.

TL;DR. I think you have a reasonable shot at both these schools, though hopefully you can get further clarification about the Columbia ED and possible averaging of LSATs.

pbutta123

New

Post by pbutta123 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Columbia takes the highest as long as it is 8+ your lower(s), according to my research. Its just difficult to find stats on mult LSATers.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:59 pm

You have a shot at Boalt. I can't speak to Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:11 pm

You don't need to ED anywhere. You won't get into HYS because of their GPA floors, but you'll get into almost everywhere else and you will have good scholarship options. Berkeley's always a crap shoot.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:11 pm

I think you have a good shot at CLS without an ED, even better with an ED. I'd say you are in at NYU. Berkeley your GPA is low for them but the LSAT will give you a shot if you have good softs and a solid personal statement.

If you don't care about $ and you want Berkeley or Columbia I would ED Columbia. If you aren't independently wealthy I'd go with the apply early and blanket the T14 conventional wisdom...you will get in to several T14 schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”