I forgot to disclose... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PotentLaw

New

I forgot to disclose...

Post by PotentLaw » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:23 am

edited for confidentiality.
Last edited by PotentLaw on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

flcath

Silver

Re: I forgot to disclose...

Post by flcath » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:27 am

You're fine. You may not even need to disclose (read carefully), but obviously err on the side of disclosure if it's close.

No way this harms anything unless you fail to disclose under circumstances that are clearly dishonest.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:30 am

flcath wrote:You're fine. You may not even need to disclose (read carefully), but obviously err on the side of disclosure if it's close.

No way this harms anything unless you fail to disclose under circumstances that are clearly dishonest.
Agreed. Just want to re-emphasize that there is a decent chance you actually don't need to disclose this. Many applications simply say to disclose any arrests or charges. Since this is neither, you may be off the hook.

PotentLaw

New

Post by PotentLaw » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:31 am

One of the schools I'm seriously considering specifically asks "Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been cited, arrested, taken into custody, charged with"... so I think I should.

Also, how does that email look?

PotentLaw

New

Post by PotentLaw » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:36 am

Also, it's worth noting I got an MIP for alcohol (which I did disclose) two years before that. I guess im most worried that it shows some sort of trend or something like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:40 am

PotentLaw wrote:One of the schools I'm seriously considering specifically asks "Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been cited, arrested, taken into custody, charged with"... so I think I should.

1. I am not sure you have to disclose (except for the school you mentioned which says taken into custody)
2. I HIGHLY doubt this is the kind of thing that would cause a school to go back and review a file (much less change a decision)
3. I think the email looks fine

good luck!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:41 am

PotentLaw wrote:One of the schools I'm seriously considering specifically asks "Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been cited, arrested, taken into custody, charged with"... so I think I should.

I genuinely like it. I especially like the line about "I was not arrested, charged, or fined, nor was I..." because it spells out the non-seriousness of the issue in a totally detached, objective way.

Don't assume that just b/c these ppl are lawyers that they're familiar with what shit like "civil protective custody" is; they probably don't unless this happens to applicants in Cali a lot. Maybe a brief, objective (similar to the quote above) reference to the fact that you weren't being "Baker-acted," as we call it in FL (i.e., institutionalized due to fear of harming yourself or others) would cover your bases, but it probably isn't necessary.

This does a good job of (a) adequately addressing your reasons for initial non-disclosure, and (b) describing the incident, all without seeming like you're shirking responsibility.

One thing though: if "XXXX Festival" is something weird (no value judgments; just think like an adcomm), then leave it out and put something more generic, like "after going to an event with friends." By weird I mean like the national NORML convention, the California BSDM appreciation conference, or a music festival for whatever genre of music Marilyn Manson is in.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:43 am

I'd say the email looks fine. It is possible they would want you to attach an addendum as a pdf file or something rather than in the text of the email.

The pattern aspect of it does change things a little bit, but I still wouldn't be worried about it.

Edit: Apparently I was too slow, but I agree with all of the above.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:56 am

be sure to edit your above message - there are a few grammatical errors. Otherwise, looks good.

PotentLaw

New

Post by PotentLaw » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:00 am

thank you everyone... I hope it goes well!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”