Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Cardozo sticker vs. Hofstra 25k a year (top 40% stip)

Cardozo
64%
Hofstra (25k)
36%

Total votes: 33

gwuorbust

Gold

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:23 am

OP, I think that you should consider a joint degree program. that way you will be able to have a dual degree program. I suggest something like a JD/MA in English, or a JD/MBA, or maybe even a JD/Ph.D. I am sure this will open doors and allow you to make connections. And since you are not concerned about debt, there is no downside!

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:32 am

SupraVln180 wrote:This thread got absurd. OP, what happened to Rutgers? I think based on your debt and I believe you said in your last thread that you are in-state. Go to Rutgers and work in NJ. Cardozo is not worth sticker, I know two kids personally who got full-rides and both regret it and are thinking of dropping out. And don't get me started on Hofstra man, it is a toilet. I'm sure you got into St.John's as well with money if you got into Dozo. Take St.John's with money or go to Rutgers. Honestly, neither are good options, but they aren't a death sentence, like the other two.
So you're saying Dozo is a death sentence over St. John's (95 and diving) and Rutgers (Ray Rice has left the building)?

Hank Chill

Bronze

Post by Hank Chill » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:40 am

blacklawboss wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:This thread got absurd. OP, what happened to Rutgers? I think based on your debt and I believe you said in your last thread that you are in-state. Go to Rutgers and work in NJ. Cardozo is not worth sticker, I know two kids personally who got full-rides and both regret it and are thinking of dropping out. And don't get me started on Hofstra man, it is a toilet. I'm sure you got into St.John's as well with money if you got into Dozo. Take St.John's with money or go to Rutgers. Honestly, neither are good options, but they aren't a death sentence, like the other two.
So you're saying Dozo is a death sentence over St. John's (95 and diving) and Rutgers (Ray Rice has left the building)?
I agree. Dozo is number 50 now. That's tier one baby!!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:48 am

The best investment is always in yourself!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:49 am

Are we giving this guy too much credit? He referred to users on this sight as "smelly fartholes".

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:56 am

blacklawboss wrote:
No, I believe OP got a significant scholly to SJU and money/in-state to Rutgers. Which would both be better options than Carschmozo at sticker. If he didn't get money at SJU then he obviously shouldn't go, but I remember him saying he did. I am too lazy to actually search to see if he did. If you are sticker at all these schools or less than half tuition scholarships, seriously OP, don't go. You won't be in the Top 5% you need to land a decent job.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:35 pm

No, I believe OP got a significant scholly to SJU and money/in-state to Rutgers. Which would both be better options than Carschmozo at sticker. If he didn't get money at SJU then he obviously shouldn't go, but I remember him saying he did. I am too lazy to actually search to see if he did. If you are sticker at all these schools or less than half tuition scholarships, seriously OP, don't go. You won't be in the Top 5% you need to land a decent job.
Thanks guys. I did get a scholarship to SJU but not significant enough for me to choose it (I didn't mention that on this site btw). Plus SJU is going down the tank and is now ranked 95, while Hofstra is doing better at 84.

Another question I have is whether its worth attending Cardozo at sticker if you land a 90k midlaw job or in house lawyer job? Is 90k enough to help you pay off the debt and still make a decent living?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:40 pm

lawfreak wrote:
Thanks guys. I did get a scholarship to SJU but not significant enough for me to choose it (I didn't mention that on this site btw). Plus SJU is going down the tank and is now ranked 95, while Hofstra is doing better at 84.

Another question I have is whether its worth attending Cardozo at sticker if you land a 90k midlaw job or in house lawyer job? Is 90k enough to help you pay off the debt and still make a decent living?
+1 on SJU. they're dropping like a rock. forget those losers.

i think even if you have to settle for a 90k midlaw job, cardozo is still worth it, for two main reasons:

1.) your hours are going to be much more reasonable. this makes a huge difference in quality of life. even if you're making a little less than biglaw, you're going to be able to enjoy it much more.

2.) even if you have to settle for just 90k, you're still making pretty good money. if your loan payments are too high, you can always use IBR and buy some time until you've worked your way up the salary ladder a bit (conservative estimate of 10% annual raise = 145k/yr in just 5 years. you may have to live a little conservatively at the start, but it will pay off big time before long.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:10 pm

lawfreak wrote:Another question I have is whether its worth attending Cardozo at sticker if you land a 90k midlaw job or in house lawyer job? Is 90k enough to help you pay off the debt and still make a decent living?
--ImageRemoved--
EDIT: In case someone was wondering about the response rate, NALP says the graph is based on 19,513 salaries. How many people graduate law school every year?
Last edited by JusticeHarlan on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:12 pm

lawfreak wrote:
I suggest you take a look at that graph and how many "midlaw" jobs there are.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:35 pm

lawfreak wrote:Plus SJU is going down the tank and is now ranked 95, while Hofstra is doing better at 84.
This is a really good point. And you can always transfer after 1L if Hofstra drops in next year's rankings. So it's basically win-win.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:57 pm

yeah...i don't see much more utility in this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”