. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yooolk

New

Post by yooolk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Last edited by yooolk on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yoshi

New

Re: Pre-LS jobs?

Post by yoshi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:26 pm

What do you mean "non-legal" job?

Non-legal as in secretary/receptionist or financial consultant/accountant?

yooolk

New

Post by yooolk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:36 pm

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:33 pm

yooolk wrote:
yoshi wrote:What do you mean "non-legal" job?

Non-legal as in secretary/receptionist or financial consultant/accountant?
Analyst, non-financial. Sorry I can't be more specific, I don't want to jeopardize any offers.
It depends. You're not going to get into law school/not get into law school based on whether you were a paralegal or an analyst. Law schools dont really care. That said, do you want to hang around with lawyers and experience the law firsthand as a paralegal? Or do you want to do something non-legal related that might be a solid career builder, but would still allow contact with lawyers? I think this one's really up to you.

How long do you plan on working here before law school? Is the pay the same? Have you ever had a legal job before/do you want to experience law firsthand?

yooolk

New

Post by yooolk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:41 pm

yoshi

New

Post by yoshi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:18 pm

It seems to me that both options would give you an overview of the legal profession. I guess if you were to be a paralegal, you'd build up your legal research and writing skills which would help you in law school and when you practiced afterward. That's the road I've taken and I really enjoy it. If you took the analyst position, you would see what a different profession was like while surveying the legal profession and decide which one you liked better.

I would choose the non-legal job just because I feel like it will give you more options down the line. If you really loved it, you could continue to work at it. If you didn't, you can always go to law school since the biggest factor on getting in isn't even where you worked prior to law school. If you chose the paralegal position and found out that you hated it, you would have to start over again in a different field. Both would give you work experience for law school. I guess in the end, you just have to go with the one you like a teeny bit better and see if it pans out. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”