working as a administrative assistant at law office Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sangr

Bronze

working as a administrative assistant at law office

Post by sangr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:49 pm

So how should one prepare for for this job?

I ask this question because
i.e.
1. what do law offices use microsoft excel for? i ask this in case i need to refresh my knowledge, because i havent had to use it in a while.

anything else would be great. i just dont want to be caught off guard or unprepared.

thanks

Veyron

Gold

Re: working as a administrative assistant at law office

Post by Veyron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:53 pm

How good are you at ducking?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:07 pm

I interned for the DA in my state's largest county. Some lessons learned:

1. You will feel like an idiot, more than once. Learn from it and try not to make the same mistake twice.
2. Always do your assignments immediately. Sounds common-sensical, yes, but don't even wait 2 minutes to finish some dumb project. Drop the dumb project and start your assignment.
3. Don't be shy. Everyone knows you're the new lowly assistant- embrace the role. Be confident in meeting everyone, and try to make conservation (this does not include reciting your knowledge of the dissenting opinion in the Slaughterhouse Cases). People will love you if you do your job well but can also be friendly.
4. Remember that networking is (usually) more valuable than your paycheck. You won't be making big money, so rub shoulders with important people and get your name out there.
4.1 There is always at least one hot secretary in the firm. Find her.

As for any legal software, ask the secretary what the firm uses if you haven't started. Do some research on that particular software so you have a leg up. Also, know how to do the basics (faxing, using a xerox quickly, etc.). I had several embarrassing moments on both the fax and copy machine. PM me if you have any particulars

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:14 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I interned for the DA in my state's largest county. Some lessons learned:

1. You will feel like an idiot, more than once. Learn from it and try not to make the same mistake twice.
2. Always do your assignments immediately. Sounds common-sensical, yes, but don't even wait 2 minutes to finish some dumb project. Drop the dumb project and start your assignment.
3. Don't be shy. Everyone knows you're the new lowly assistant- embrace the role. Be confident in meeting everyone, and try to make conservation (this does not include reciting your knowledge of the dissenting opinion in the Slaughterhouse Cases). People will love you if you do your job well but can also be friendly.
4. Remember that networking is (usually) more valuable than your paycheck. You won't be making big money, so rub shoulders with important people and get your name out there.
4.1 There is always at least one hot secretary in the firm. Find her.

As for any legal software, ask the secretary what the firm uses if you haven't started. Do some research on that particular software so you have a leg up. Also, know how to do the basics (faxing, using a xerox quickly, etc.). I had several embarrassing moments on both the fax and copy machine. PM me if you have any particulars
thank you SO much this is exactly the type of answer i was looking for.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Don't take things personally. In my experience, an attorney can be cursing you and throwing staplers one minute, and moments later become the nicest person you've ever met.

And don't be too stiff either. Do your work efficiently and professionally, but don't be afraid to engage people in conversation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:43 pm

does anyone know what kinds of funky crazy stuff ill probably need to know or utilize for
microsoft excel or outlook?

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:48 pm

sangr wrote:So how should one prepare for for this job?

I ask this question because
i.e.
1. what do law offices use microsoft excel for? i ask this in case i need to refresh my knowledge, because i havent had to use it in a while.

anything else would be great. i just dont want to be caught off guard or unprepared.

thanks
Always be prepared, or at least always appear prepared. I worked as an assistant once and was lambasted for not bringing a notepad and pen into a partner's office when he called me in on a whim. I might have just caught him in a bad mood, but be attuned to the habits/personalities of who you work with most, and anticipate their preferences/moods. This is something that sort of just sinks in, but be aware.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:48 pm

sangr wrote:does anyone know what kinds of funky crazy stuff ill probably need to know or utilize for
What does this is even mean

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:50 pm

sangr wrote:does anyone know what kinds of funky crazy stuff ill probably need to know or utilize for
How to type.

There are some pretty amazing things you can do with excel with enough knowledge of it, but I doubt you'll be expected to know any of this. Everything you'll need is very learnable as you go.

Also- If you have a couple bucks to blow and want to up your technical proficiency just in case, Linda.com is amazing. I'm not affiliated with this site, I just used it during my internship at an Insurance company and found it to be addictive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:54 pm

rman1201 wrote:
How to type.

There are some pretty amazing things you can do with excel with enough knowledge of it, but I doubt you'll be expected to know any of this. Everything you'll need is very learnable as you go.

Also- If you have a couple bucks to blow and want to up your technical proficiency just in case, Linda.com is amazing. I'm not affiliated with this site, I just used it during my internship at an Insurance company and found it to be addictive.
You've just outed yourself as a shameless shill.

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:54 pm

rman1201 wrote:
How to type.

thanks...i dont have too much extensive use of it and the last time i formally learned it was 3 years ago in a classroom setting, never to use it again. i also have extremely little experience with outlook
im going all over researching crap but i guess i can learn as i go.

ill keep the pen and notepad comment in mind also.

thanks.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:55 pm

Just do shit fast thats all anyone really wants out of an admin asst, most of the tasks you'll be given will most likely be rather straight forward

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
How to type.

You've just outed yourself as a shameless shill.
That site is the shit man. It got me into programming - they have video lessons on Actionscript programming for flash and it sort of went from there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Um, nothing. I have worked/interned in three different law offices and never used Excel or Outlook for "crazy stuff." What exactly are you asking?

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:14 pm

aspire2more wrote:
Um, nothing. I have worked/interned in three different law offices and never used Excel or Outlook for "crazy stuff." What exactly are you asking?
To add to this - you do realize Outlook is just email, right?

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:18 pm

i guess i have im thinking of "crazy stuff" because the only experience i have with excel is through a stats class i had way back in undergrad and that involved so much different shit. I understand we wont be doing stats but i felt that maybe they may want us to utilize some of the tools in excel that requires more than elementary knowledge of the program.

In regards to outlook, other than the e-mail, there's the contacts tabs and such. I'm sure they're all easily learnable, but I was just asking because I literally have never used it, other than a short period in which i only checked the e-mail at my internship on rare occasions.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:37 pm

All your Excel and Outlook needs will be self learnable. If not, the nearest secretary should know it back and forth. That person and the maintenance/custodians (aka holder of EVERY key) can make your life heaven or hell. Kiss their ass early and often. Food court/cafeteria workers, too, if applicable. Your lunch break (or more importantly, your boss's lunch) may not come until they are closing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”