So, question about regional law schools... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RaiderInBlue47

New

So, question about regional law schools...

Post by RaiderInBlue47 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Say I were to attend a University of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming. Or maybe a Stetson, Mercer, or Drake.

I know they're pretty regional schools and you better be dead set on living in the state if you wanna have employment. But how much does work experience change that? If I were to practice for, say, 8 years at a firm in Montana, how much easier would it be to find work in Washington?

I ask because I'm finding myself more interested in some Tier 2/3s for their strong regional presence in places I love. Obviously, I'd go to a Tier 1 in the region before a Tier 3 but I'm really interested in the Daytona area (Stetson) or in Montana (UMontana) and they're good at placing kids in their areas. The whole idea of staying in the same state for almost all of my professional life sounds very...claustrophobic.

tl;dr: How much easier does work experience help one move out of their Tier Three's state?
Last edited by RaiderInBlue47 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danteshek

Gold

Re: So, question about regional law schools...

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:36 pm

Rephrase your question. Too long.

A12345

Bronze

Post by A12345 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:00 am

RaiderInBlue47 wrote:Say I were to attend a University of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming. Or maybe a Stetson, Mercer, or Drake.

I know they're pretty regional schools and you better be dead set on living in the state if you wanna have employment. But how much does work experience change that? If I were to practice for, say, 8 years at a firm in Montana, how much easier would it be to find work in Washington?

I ask because I'm finding myself more interested in some Tier 2/3s for their strong regional presence in places I love. Obviously, I'd go to a Tier 1 in the region before a Tier 3 but I'm really interested in the Daytona area (Stetson) or in Montana (UMontana) and they're good at placing kids in their areas. The whole idea of staying in the same state for almost all of my professional life sounds very...claustrophobic.

tl;dr: How much easier does work experience help one move out of their Tier Three's state?

no one really cares where you went to school after a few years work experience. all they care about after that time is what you can do personally and your reputation

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:30 am

A12345 wrote:
RaiderInBlue47 wrote:Say I were to attend a University of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming. Or maybe a Stetson, Mercer, or Drake.

no one really cares where you went to school after a few years work experience. all they care about after that time is what you can do personally and your reputation
you have to get a job first to be able to get WE

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:52 am

RaiderInBlue47 wrote:The whole idea of staying in the same state for almost all of my professional life sounds very...claustrophobic.
I think the reason that people stay in a general place for long periods of time is that they end up building up clientele and connections, which are very useful.

If you move to a different city, you lose a little something. Sure you might keep some of those clients and connections, depending on who they are and how you play your cards. But all things considered, a lot of times people find that it's just not worth their time to uproot and relocate.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's a choice thing. If you have a good reason for wanting to move, then a lot of the time, that can happen. I genuinely think in the long haul, most people don't move around very often because of the aforementioned reasons, and because they don't feel like it. But by the same token, I have met attorneys who have moved around quite a bit. They do exist and it can happen. I think you make what you want out of it, in the end.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 am

dreakol wrote: you have to get a job first to be able to get WE
Just looked at U Montana, 100% of their class responded to their survey, the employment stats look pretty killer, and the low starting salary isn't low at all in a state like Montana where the overwhelming majority of their grads are going...

--LinkRemoved--

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:33 am

Fred_McGriff wrote:
Just looked at U Montana, 100% of their class responded to their survey, the employment stats look pretty killer, and the low starting salary isn't low at all in a state like Montana where the overwhelming majority of their grads are going...

--LinkRemoved--
46k is low brah, no matter where you live. Especially if you account for opportunity cost and the 100k+ it costs to go to law school.

A12345

Bronze

Post by A12345 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:06 pm

dreakol wrote:
A12345 wrote:

you have to get a job first to be able to get WE
really? I did not know that. Obviously if you go to a law school so shitty you will never be able to find a legal job then none of this thread matters

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:15 pm

This might not be the substantive response you're looking for, but man, Missoula is awesome. I could definitely live there, although I don't know if I could find professional fulfillment in Montana. Unless I owned an enormous ranch.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:24 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
46k is low brah, no matter where you live. Especially if you account for opportunity cost and the 100k+ it costs to go to law school.

In state at Montana is $10K.

thedive

Bronze

Post by thedive » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 pm

sanjola wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

In state at Montana is $10K.
Yes, and there is only 75-80 students graduating from there every year. Their latest salary information says 50k which is not a lot but when you're not facing 150k in loans it is really not that bad. It seems that some years they also have a lot of graduates going to clerk, however this is obviously in-state. I'm choosing MT and for awhile thought about either several T2s on scholly or a couple mid to low T1s at sticker but MT just seemed a better option since my goal is eventually to end up back there. If you're close to the top of your class there are midlaw firms in places like Billings that are mostly all MT graduates that are loyal alumni.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:07 pm

AP-375 wrote:I don't know if I could find professional fulfillment in Montana. Unless I owned an enormous ranch.
Professional fulfillment? I think of touring up a big rolling swath of 2 - 4000 vertical, popping into telemark mode and ripping face shots of fresh untracked powder, steep and stacked, rinsing, and repeating a couple of times a week. Fresh air, sunshine, fuck it, it's a great life. Don't even get me started on the fly fishing...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:13 pm

U Montana instate is a more solid value than most T1s for sure. Non biglaw/midlaw lawyers have a terrible time re-locating though since so many clients are local.

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:23 pm

I almost applied to Montana but the residency reclassification seemed pretty difficult.

But I would not go to Mercer, Drake, or Stetson if I were you. Montana's cheap tuition and low cost of living would make it a decent choice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”