Please rank Florida Law Schools for me. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
orm518

Bronze

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Post by orm518 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:34 am

orm518 wrote:he packed his shades for sunny Florida.
I take it back if he's got like congenital blindness or something....

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:02 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Mickey-

Is there any semblance of a legal market in Orlando? I'll be heading to FSU this fall and while I love south Florida, I've always enjoyed my time in Otown.
Haha, I'll be able to tell you a lot more clearly in about 5 months after I OCI, because that's the main place i'm trying to hit. But there is definitely a semblance of a legal market. There are about a 10ish "biglaw" offices in Orlando, and after the crash they went from hiring 10-12 SA's a year to 3-4. There are also a good handful of midlaw firms in the area. But it's going to be near impossible without good grades and significant contacts to the area (it's a small enough city that contacts do tend to matter).
So you're a graduating law student? Are the rankings you give about fairly common views among others you know? As far as you can say...?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:11 am

TOMaHULK wrote:

Is there any semblance of a legal market in Orlando? I'll be heading to FSU this fall and while I love south Florida, I've always enjoyed my time in Otown.
Haha, I'll be able to tell you a lot more clearly in about 5 months after I OCI, because that's the main place i'm trying to hit. But there is definitely a semblance of a legal market. There are about a 10ish "biglaw" offices in Orlando, and after the crash they went from hiring 10-12 SA's a year to 3-4. There are also a good handful of midlaw firms in the area. But it's going to be near impossible without good grades and significant contacts to the area (it's a small enough city that contacts do tend to matter).
So you're a graduating law student? Are the rankings you give about fairly common views among others you know? As far as you can say...?
1. 1L

2. I don't know many people who are looking in the Florida market, since i'm at school in Georgia, and the ones I do know don't really have a knowledgeable view of the Florida hiring market.

3. I honestly think those are correct rankings, with obviously a value statement put on each of the tiers. Mistergoft and Rad Law two other posters on this site who have a good idea what the Florida market is like right now, and I think they would agree with me, but who knows.

4. If you're an FSU UG, E.J and company are going to absolutely tear it up. I'm thinking 10-2 this year and a BCS bowl win.

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:14 am

TOMaHULK wrote:

1. 1L

2. I don't know many people who are looking in the Florida market, since i'm at school in Georgia, and the ones I do know don't really have a knowledgeable view of the Florida hiring market.

3. I honestly think those are correct rankings, with obviously a value statement put on each of the tiers. Mistergoft and Rad Law two other posters on this site who have a good idea what the Florida market is like right now, and I think they would agree with me, but who knows.

4. If you're an FSU UG, E.J and company are going to absolutely tear it up. I'm thinking 10-2 this year and a BCS bowl win.

I'm a USF Grad. But I'm also a FSU ticket season holder. Yes SRS. Looking forward to solid season. We've paid our dues and it's time. :)

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:55 am

TOMaHULK wrote:I'm a USF Grad. But I'm also a FSU ticket season holder.
Jenn Sterger? Is that you??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:45 am

1. UF
2. FSU / Miami depending on North / South Florida distinction
3. Stetson for Tampa St. Pete
4. All the others

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:51 am

Florida & FSU are probably the top two law schools in the state. Stetson & Miami seem to be tied. Does one place notably better than the other ? Or is it that Miami places well in South Florida whereas Stetson does well in the Tampa Bay area ?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:03 am

Not taking into account tuition costs and only taking into account placement:

1. U Florida/U Miami
3. Florida State U
4. Stetson
5. Florida Coastal/Florida International
7. Barry/St Thomas/Nova Southeastern
10.Florida A & M
11.Ave Maria

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:10 am

EricBerry wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:I'm a USF Grad. But I'm also a FSU ticket season holder.
Jenn Sterger? Is that you??
Jenn's busy with the Favre attorneys...

Non of whom went to a FL school. :P
Last edited by TOMaHULK on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:11 am

Yes, there are about a half-dozen corporate firms that are 100+

Akerman
Foley Lardner
Baker Hostetler
Carlton Fields
Holland and Kinght

and my personal favorite,

lowndes, Drosnick, Doster, Kantor & Reed

There is also a thriving large-scale shit-law scene. nearly fifteen 50+ firms that do auto-accidents and wrongful termination suits.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:11 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Not taking into account tuition costs and only taking into account placement:

1. U Florida/U Miami
No.

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:12 am

Cupidity wrote:

Akerman
Foley Lardner
Baker Hostetler
Carlton Fields
Holland and Kinght

Lowndes, Drosnick, Doster, Kantor & Reed

There is also a thriving large-scale shit-law scene. nearly fifteen 50+ firms that do auto-accidents and wrongful termination suits.
I think these would be called boutique firms...no? :idea:

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Cupidity wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Not taking into account tuition costs and only taking into account placement:

1. U Florida/U Miami
No.
The 2005 placement chart had them at peers and there is no indication anywhere that things have changed. Not in the 2009/2010/2011 placement charts, not in the federal clerkship data, nowhere. Granted it is likely that U Florida dominates the state with the exception of Miami, due to U Miami. If this is true, I still stand by my ranking because Miami is the most desirable job market in Florida.

I do agree that U Miami tuition costs make it less desirable than U Florida. But that doesn't change what the data shows.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:

1. U Florida/U Miami
No.
The 2005 placement chart had them at peers and there is no indication anywhere that things have changed. Not in the 2009/2010/2011 placement charts, not in the federal clerkship data, nowhere. Granted it is likely that U Florida dominates the state with the exception of Miami, due to U Miami. If this is true, I still stand by my ranking because Miami is the most desirable job market in Florida.

I do agree that U Miami tuition costs make it less desirable than U Florida. But that doesn't change what the data shows.
May I ask why Florida Coastal comes about Stetson? Just curious, no debate attempt.

CP2323

New

Post by CP2323 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:28 pm

I would disagree with Miami being the most desirable market.

Tampa gives you access to a large market and is close to Orlando as well. Plus cost of living is significantly lower then Miami.

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:29 pm

UMiami (Because it has a better reputation with big firms around the country.)
UF (Only thing going: cheaper than UMiami.)
FSU (Regional)
Stetson (Regional)
The rest...

Miami places a lot of grads in top markets outside of South Florida. It has a bad reputation on TLS and other law blogs/forums that are primarily written/commented on by angry morons who won't make it with or without a law degree. These people, for the most part, are unhappy with expensive law schools in general, and UMiami is expensive compared to similarly ranked schools. That said, it's what you make of it that matters and UMiami will open more doors than most people on here think.

(Not trolling, just telling you what I've learned from speaking with people currently practicing, who don't have time for blogging.)

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:31 pm

At least in terms of lay prestige, I know a lot of successful people who went to the U for undergrad, business, and law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:33 pm

If you have to put that you aren't trolling at the end of your message, yeah, you're trolling. Tell the rest of the adcoms I said hi, though. Your office was very nice on the phone the other day.

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:37 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:If you have to put that you aren't trolling at the end of your message, yeah, you're trolling. Tell the rest of the adcoms I said hi, though. Your office was very nice on the phone the other day.
Read my other posts dating back 1.5 years...

I said it because people like you immediately discount your opinion as "trolling" if it goes against common TLS knowledge.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Give me any factual basis for your claims about Miami and I will gladly change my stance.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Cupidity wrote:

Akerman
Foley Lardner
Baker Hostetler
Carlton Fields
Holland and Kinght

GreyRobinson?
Broad and Cassel?

Those are the two 150+ firms that are actually headquartered in Orlando, also, there are a decent number of midsized (30-40 person) firms in Orlando that do not-shitlaw work. and then there's the great powerhouse- Morgan & Morgan: for the people.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CP2323

New

Post by CP2323 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:44 pm

If this was 30 years ago I would say Miami would have better lay prestige around the country. Today though University of Florida is a much better respected school. It is also higher ranked. You have better access going to UF.

I would say FSU if you were looking to go into Government work due to the location.

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Cupidity wrote:

Akerman
Foley Lardner
Baker Hostetler
Carlton Fields
Holland and Kinght

GreyRobinson?
Broad and Cassel?

Those are the two 150+ firms that are actually headquartered in Orlando, also, there are a decent number of midsized (30-40 person) firms in Orlando that do not-shitlaw work. and then there's the great powerhouse- Morgan & Morgan: for the people.
Morgan and Morgan is in Tampa.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 pm

nodummy wrote:UMiami (Because it has a better reputation with big firms around the country.)
UF (Only thing going: cheaper than UMiami.)
FSU (Regional)
Stetson (Regional)
The rest...

Miami places a lot of grads in top markets outside of South Florida. It has a bad reputation on TLS and other law blogs/forums that are primarily written/commented on by angry morons who won't make it with or without a law degree. These people, for the most part, are unhappy with expensive law schools in general, and UMiami is expensive compared to similarly ranked schools. That said, it's what you make of it that matters and UMiami will open more doors than most people on here think.

(Not trolling, just telling you what I've learned from speaking with people currently practicing, who don't have time for blogging.)
Aww, that's cute.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:46 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
Morgan and Morgan is in Tampa.
They've expanded to Tampa, but they're from Orlando.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”