[POLL] Just attend this fall or retake LSAT? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What should I do from now until the summer before law school?

Retake the LSAT to get of waitlists in the top 15.
70%
Study for the patent bar (attending either Emory or W&M).
7%
Study 0L material to prepare for 1L (attending either Emory or W&M).
23%

Total votes: 43

aquyenl

Bronze

[POLL] Just attend this fall or retake LSAT?

Post by aquyenl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Soo, my cycle has not shaped up to what I was expecting, but it's not all so bad either. I've been accepted to Emory and W&M with some decent scholarships, but was waitlisted at 5+ schools in the top 15.

Now, I have some tough decisions coming up and a ton of time left before law school. I am thinking about taking the LSAT again in June to get off the waitlists. I plan to study absolutely hardcore as it is essentially my hailmary to get into the t15. However, I was also thinking I could also try taking the patent bar or just read a ton of 0L materials/supplements to get ready for 1L. My stats are 166/3.8 by the way. Any advice would be appreciated!

aspire2more

Bronze

Re: [POLL] Just attend this fall or retake LSAT?

Post by aspire2more » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:59 pm

That depends on where you want to practice, whether or not you want Big Law, how debt adverse you are, how much better you think you can do in June, etc.

Zabini

Bronze

Post by Zabini » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:49 pm

What was your studying like for the LSAT the first time around? If you were PTing higher and had a bad day or if you slacked before the test and just randomly binked the 166, I'm inclined to think you could bump your score significantly. I know if I had a 3.8 undergrad I'd be looking to get elite schools if at all possible.

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:14 pm

i don't really care where i want to practice. given the environment, i'll go anywhere. i'm interested in biglaw/midlaw and would also like to look into ip/patent law.

i studied for about month and a half before i took the lsat in october and took about 1 lsat a day for about 10 days leading up to the test. i was PTing from 169-173, but obviously missed my mark when i took it. i probably could have done better in the speed aspect of the test. i'm only working part time from now until law school, so i have a ton of time to do something. if i do retake, i have 3 months of full prep.

i'm pretty debt averse, but i have no debt from undergrad.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:24 pm

aquyenl wrote:i don't really care where i want to practice. given the environment, i'll go anywhere. i'm interested in biglaw/midlaw and would also like to look into ip/patent law.

i studied for about month and a half before i took the lsat in october and took about 1 lsat a day for about 10 days leading up to the test. i was PTing from 169-173, but obviously missed my mark when i took it. i probably could have done better in the speed aspect of the test. i'm only working part time from now until law school, so i have a ton of time to do something. if i do retake, i have 3 months of full prep.

i'm pretty debt averse, but i have no debt from undergrad.
I'd recommend a re-take. I got a 168, with similar studying before my first test and a similar PT range. I'm prepping for a retake in June now, and my PT range is higher. It's definitely worth a try.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:27 pm

so let's say one does get off the waitlist...if the LSAT score is significantly higher, would schools give any money? or are you stuck with sticker price straight out of the waitlist?

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:29 pm

Have you considered waiting a year?

Study hardcore till June for the LSAT and see what you get on the LSAT. With your GPA, if you get over a 170, I would reapply next year. Also if you are debt averse, waiting a year with a better LSAT score could get you a huge scholarship from schools in the 19-30 range.

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:34 pm

beidoun wrote:Have you considered waiting a year?

Study hardcore till June for the LSAT and see what you get on the LSAT. With your GPA, if you get over a 170, I would reapply next year. Also if you are debt averse, waiting a year with a better LSAT score could get you a huge scholarship from schools in the 19-30 range.
yes, i am thinking about reapplying if i do get a 170+. but i already have a pretty nice 75k scholly from emory. so i'm torn between a retake to get into t15 or study hard to prepare for 1L and own the first year.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Sign up for the June LSAT and wait and see what happens with those 5 wls. In the meantime, study hard.

You have a fantastic GPA, and a good LSAT score. With a really good score (I.E 170+) you could be looking at some elite schools.

If you're not enthralled with any of your current options, maybe taking a year off isn't such a bad idea?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:39 pm

aquyenl wrote:i'm interested in biglaw/midlaw
If this is true, why are you considering going outside of the T14 when you know you don't have to make life harder for yourself? Based on your goals, you should take the LSAT in June and apply very early next cycle to the T14 schools you like best. I almost never think retaking right away is the best idea, but in your case it makes sense.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:02 am

aspire2more wrote:
aquyenl wrote:i'm interested in biglaw/midlaw
If this is true, why are you considering going outside of the T14 when you know you don't have to make life harder for yourself? Based on your goals, you should take the LSAT in June and apply very early next cycle to the T14 schools you like best. I almost never think retaking right away is the best idea, but in your case it makes sense.
I agree with this. Even with a 170+ and a 3.8, you're nowhere near guaranteed to get off a waitlist... it really depends on how many people they can take. But if you can stomach waiting until next cycle, those extra points would net you some nice acceptances, and I'm betting with a 172+ at least SOME money at t14s.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:44 am

Hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble with the mods, but since this is a straightforward poll question, I'll provide the straightforward response:

Retake. Every little point counts.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:12 am

Can you improve 3-5 points? IF so, retake, if not enjoy Emory.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:49 am

romothesavior wrote:Hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble with the mods, but since this is a straightforward poll question, I'll provide the straightforward response:

Why would your advice of retake get you in trouble with the mods?

I am in a somewhat similar situation, so want to throw in a question. How much would a higher LSAT help in getting off waitlists? Do people have any anecdotes that they want to share?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 am

tea_drinker wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble with the mods, but since this is a straightforward poll question, I'll provide the straightforward response:

Why would your advice of retake get you in trouble with the mods?

I am in a somewhat similar situation, so want to throw in a question. How much would a higher LSAT help in getting off waitlists? Do people have any anecdotes that they want to share?
Because the mods have decided that simply saying "retake" to a poster is a bannable offense.

As far as waitlists go, it depends on the school. Even with a higher LSAT, they can't take you if they don't have room for you. And the scholarship fund will likely be dry by that point. If you were to re-take and do better, I think taking a year off and re-applying is probably the better move. A few points difference can be a dramatic difference in schools you get into and scholarship money you receive. Your 35 year old self will thank you for it, because the difference in tens of thousands of dollars will mean a LOT during repayment.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40 pm

romothesavior wrote: Because the mods have decided that simply saying "retake" to a poster is a bannable offense.

As far as waitlists go, it depends on the school. Even with a higher LSAT, they can't take you if they don't have room for you. And the scholarship fund will likely be dry by that point. If you were to re-take and do better, I think taking a year off and re-applying is probably the better move. A few points difference can be a dramatic difference in schools you get into and scholarship money you receive. Your 35 year old self will thank you for it, because the difference in tens of thousands of dollars will mean a LOT during repayment.
I am not sure if OP has made his/her decision, but I am still debating on whether to retake the LSAT just for the purpose of getting off the waiitlist. Defer or re-apply next year is a whole different issue. Can I pm you with some specific questions since I don't want to hijack this thread? Thanks.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:17 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
romothesavior wrote: Because the mods have decided that simply saying "retake" to a poster is a bannable offense.

I am not sure if OP has made his/her decision, but I am still debating on whether to retake the LSAT just for the purpose of getting off the waiitlist. Defer or re-apply next year is a whole different issue. Can I pm you with some specific questions since I don't want to hijack this thread? Thanks.
Of course.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:16 pm

with all the comments encouraging to retake, i'm definitely leaning in that direction. i am not sure about delaying another year as i've already decided to delay law school for a year already. but if i miraculously get a 172+, i think i may have to.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:17 pm

aquyenl wrote:with all the comments encouraging to retake, i'm definitely leaning in that direction. i am not sure about delaying another year as i've already decided to delay law school for a year already. but if i miraculously get a 172+, i think i may have to.
By the time I start in the fall, I will have been out of school for three years. If I could do it again (LSAT prep, applications, etc.), I would take at least the same amount of time. Two years is not a long time to "delay" law school, especially when you think about how much time you are going to spend paying back that money you could have saved by retaking, reapplying, and getting a nice scholarship at a T14 school. And again, if Big Law is actually your goal, the decision to retake should be a no-brainer. If you prepare well, getting a 172+ will not require a miracle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”