Re-applying Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tigerlilly17

New

Re-applying

Post by tigerlilly17 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:49 pm

I applied and was accepted to some law schools last year but had to put it off due to extenuating circumstances. If I were to reapply, could/should I use the 2009-10 application cycle LORs for the upcoming application cycle?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

CrimLaw300

Bronze

Re: Re-applying

Post by CrimLaw300 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:05 pm

tigerlilly17 wrote:I applied and was accepted to some law schools last year but had to put it off due to extenuating circumstances. If I were to reapply, could/should I use the 2009-10 application cycle LORs for the upcoming application cycle?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
I know you can. I don't think it would hurt if you did. I guess you ought to use them again if you think they will be helpful in gaining admission, and vice versa.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Yes you definitely can. Should you? I don't see why not. If you have a new one I would definitely include that but if you don't have any new ones just send the same ones you sent last time.

I reapplied to a bunch of schools and none of them seemed to care. The only one that actually mentioned it was Penn who sent me an email saying "we'd prefer you give us a new LoR" to which I responded "I don't have one, just use those" and they were okay with it. I ended up getting waitlisted at Penn though rejected at Mich/UVa (I'm a supersplitter so I didn't have much chance at any of the schools). Take from that what you will.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:21 pm

If you applied in 2009 and are reapplying in 2011, I would suggest getting a new LOR. It will have been 2 years and I would think the committee would want to see that you're still a stellar candidate based on what you've done recently. If if you've been working somewhere during this time or you have had some significant experience that would boost your app, I would get a third LOR from someone. Some schools only allow you to send 2 and then which ones you send will be a judgment call, but you'll have that third LOR for schools that will take 3 and one ready to go for any schools that ask for an updated one.

I would not bother getting new LORs for past academic work. The only thing that would change is the date of the letter.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:21 pm

If I take 1 year off and go in with same LOR's would I be hurt?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”