Jd/MBA without significant work experience? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sangr

Bronze

Jd/MBA without significant work experience?

Post by sangr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:40 pm

to my knowledge if u want to strive for a Jd/MBA degree u need substantial work experience with a legit job. are there any schools that don't require this?

thanks

dr123

Gold

Re: Jd/MBA without significant work experience?

Post by dr123 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:42 pm

any MBA program that does not require WE is probably not worth going to

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:45 pm

that's what I figured .

so no school in top 30 would accept a Jd/MBA without some significant work exp right?

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:45 pm

You can do the Harvard 2+2 program without work experience, but that's just for an MBA, no JD. Most good schools are going to require 3 years work experience unless you're really, really exceptional in other ways.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:48 pm

The entire point of business school is to build upon concepts you've learned in the workplace and network with others. With no work experience you have no framework for the education and no bargaining chips when it comes to networking. Even if there was a good MBA program you could get into w/ no WE i don't really see the point

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:52 pm

I was thinking about this as well. Part of me really wants to go for the JD/MBA simply because the only way I will get into a MBA program is if it's combined with the JD. But I came to the conclusion that the MBA will be worthless because I have no significant work experience (other than a part-time sales job) and thus will not be worth the extra year.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Army2Law wrote:You can do the Harvard 2+2 program without work experience, but that's just for an MBA, no JD. Most good schools are going to require 3 years work experience unless you're really, really exceptional in other ways.
:x It bothered me every time I watched an FSU football game and they mentioned that Christian Ponder was almost done with his MBA at 22.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:02 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
Army2Law wrote:You can do the Harvard 2+2 program without work experience, but that's just for an MBA, no JD. Most good schools are going to require 3 years work experience unless you're really, really exceptional in other ways.
:x It bothered me every time I watched an FSU football game and they mentioned that Christian Ponder was almost done with his MBA at 22.
I always thought the reason to get an MBA is for career advancement in a field you have already been established in (e.g. middle-manager with 3-6 years of experience offered a promotion to an executive position upon completion of the MBA). Don't really see what an MBA would do for someone just starting out.

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:02 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
Moral of the story: become a Heisman-contending quarterback for a top 25 team and you can get into an MBA program.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ludacrispat26

Bronze

Post by Ludacrispat26 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:14 pm

dr123 wrote:any MBA program that does not require WE is probably not worth going to
Pretty much no top b-school in the country requires full time post grad work experience (not counting summer internships/jobs). Harvard, Stanford, MIT, etc, all accept some people straight from undergrad.

I got wait-listed at Carnegie Mellon this cycle applying straight out of undergrad.

Work Experience is very important, just not "required."

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:
dr123 wrote:any MBA program that does not require WE is probably not worth going to
Pretty much no top b-school in the country requires full time post grad work experience (not counting summer internships/jobs). Harvard, Stanford, MIT, etc, all accept some people straight from undergrad.

I got wait-listed at Carnegie Mellon this cycle applying straight out of undergrad.

Work Experience is very important, just not "required."
This is misleading, it's required in the same sense WE is required at NU. There are a few outliers but for 97% of us that doesn't apply. You'll have an easier time getting a job at GS or mckinsey which will likely get you a to mba in a few years anyways.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Plus, why pay for an MBA when you can work for 3-5 years and have your employer pay tuition for you

PEguy

New

Post by PEguy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 pm

You can get a JD/MBA with LESS (but still some) work experience than you'd need for the MBA at some schools. Let's say you work 1-2 years (in a good job) and then get into Uchicago or Michigan, etc, Law school... If you apply during 1L to the MBA you're gonna have a very good shot of getting in... better than the very small chance you'd have with only 1-2 years experience if you weren't already in the law school (from what I understand).

Clearly this means you can't do a 3 year program though.

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:48 pm

PEguy wrote:You can get a JD/MBA with LESS (but still some) work experience than you'd need for the MBA at some schools. Let's say you work 1-2 years (in a good job) and then get into Uchicago or Michigan, etc, Law school... If you apply during 1L to the MBA you're gonna have a very good shot of getting in... better than the very small chance you'd have with only 1-2 years experience if you weren't already in the law school (from what I understand).

Clearly this means you can't do a 3 year program though.
I believe at NU you can. Duke you could probably still do the accelerated programme which is 3.5 yrs...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”