URM applying to law school with a great resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:56 pm

iceman86 wrote:In order to overcome the doubt that many people will have of my accomplishments, I have asked my recommenders to speak about specific examples of my work that has provided a great view of the law and my future studying the law. I have also asked them to provide their direct contact info just in case the letter is not seen as truthful.
Probably the best possible thing to do. Strong LORs are those that talk specifically about your actual involvement in the recommender's life/business/projects, so those will help out.

It sounds like you're a self-starter who's made a lot of opportunities for himself, and schools should really like that.

For URMs, much greater emphasis is put on "softs" including the PS/resume/LORs than other applicants. A strong package that includes LORs backing up your resume and a well-written PS should get you into the very top schools. It sounds like you're an AA male with a 3.6/169; with those numbers, you should have a strong chance even at HYS, and I would imagine would get into most T14 schools you apply to.

Make sure everything (your resume, PS, etc.) is as well-polished as possible, and apply to as many T14 schools as you can afford. I mean all of them; some will give you $$$ and you'll probably get some acceptances from the very top schools. Don't even bother with GW and UMD; GULC and Duke should be the lowest schools you consider attending, and then only if they offer you scholarships.

Good luck. You should have a great cycle.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Congrats on your many accomplishments, you'll have a great cycle and pretty much do everything vanwinkle just said.
Don't mind everyone on here, it's just jealousy. Your experiences seem legitimate.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:06 pm

iceman86 wrote:I would like to know my chances at attending Cornell, Georgetown, GW, UMD Law, and Duke law for the Fall 2011 semester.
I... might wait until next cycle. Not sure how applicable that is necessarily since you're both URM and non-traditional. But you're already past the deadline for some of those places I imagine.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm not URM. I'm a 2.8/156, went to a lousy state school, have unspectacular WE and no softs, but I have a 13" dick with girth.

Chances at Yale?

With girth, mind you.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:28 pm

ahduth wrote:
iceman86 wrote:I would like to know my chances at attending Cornell, Georgetown, GW, UMD Law, and Duke law for the Fall 2011 semester.
I... might wait until next cycle. Not sure how applicable that is necessarily since you're both URM and non-traditional. But you're already past the deadline for some of those places I imagine.
I missed this. It's too late in the current cycle to be applying, yeah. OP needs to wait and apply next fall for entry in Fall of 2012.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”