What's the maximum P/NP (Pass/No Pass) one can have? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
notaznguy

Bronze

What's the maximum P/NP (Pass/No Pass) one can have?

Post by notaznguy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:49 pm

I've already used a P on a GE class before and I was thinking about using another one this quarter. I'm not doing so hot in the class (currently at a B-). The only thing is, the class is Spanish 2 and next quarter I have to take Spanish 3, which I'm afraid I might not do well in as well based on my Spanish 2 performance. Languages are my vice :(

Anyways, people have told me 1 or 2 P's are okay, but 3 is really stretching it. What do you guys think?

javancho

New

Re: What's the maximum P/NP (Pass/No Pass) one can have?

Post by javancho » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Pass/No Pass... It doesn't matter. Just get a decent GPA. What really matters is the LSAT. Focus your resources there.

notaznguy

Bronze

Post by notaznguy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:10 am

Uh I don't think that's an accurate statement. And what is "decent" GPA suppose to mean? That's so relative. For the record, my GPA is at 3.59 right now. Do you think it'll make a difference if it drops down to 3.58 or goes up to 3.60?

javancho

New

Post by javancho » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:45 am

To me, a decent GPA is higher than 3.50 because it doesn't disqualify one from most schools.

"Do you think it'll make a difference if it drops down to 3.58 or goes up to 3.60?"
NO

"What really matters is the LSAT. Focus your resources there." Don't believe me? Look at these data:

Emory 2009-2010 cycle:
http://emory.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats ... Cycle=1011
or
Washington University in St Louis 2009-2010 cycle:
http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats ... Cycle=1011

Do you see what a mere 1-point difference in the LSAT can do?

Some school care a bit more about GPA than the two examples I mentioned, but at the end of the day all schools care far more about the LSAT than GPA. Peruse the lawschoolnumbers.com website and see what numbers you need for what you want.
Last edited by javancho on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 am

I took two classes P/NP during the second semester of my junior year and two classes P/NP the summer after. Things are working out pretty well right now. I had a good reason though and sent an addendum just to be safe but I don't think it would have mattered.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:14 am

Who instilled the notion that schools scour your transcripts and look at every single class and make heavy handed decisions based on this ? 2 or 3 classes pass fail = slacker? bad student ? loser ? :roll: I have probably the most W's out of anyone on TLS on my transcript and my cycle is going great. Like the guy the other day who contemplated an addendum for All A's and 1 C - cmon.

javancho

New

Post by javancho » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:33 am

Sandro wrote:Who instilled the notion that schools scour your transcripts and look at every single class and make heavy handed decisions based on this ? 2 or 3 classes pass fail = slacker? bad student ? loser ? :roll: I have probably the most W's out of anyone on TLS on my transcript and my cycle is going great. Like the guy the other day who contemplated an addendum for All A's and 1 C - cmon.
Agree. It seems that a lot of schools have pretty bad pre-law advisers. They should be replaced by TLSers.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:43 am

javancho wrote:
Sandro wrote:Who instilled the notion that schools scour your transcripts and look at every single class and make heavy handed decisions based on this ? 2 or 3 classes pass fail = slacker? bad student ? loser ? :roll: I have probably the most W's out of anyone on TLS on my transcript and my cycle is going great. Like the guy the other day who contemplated an addendum for All A's and 1 C - cmon.
Agree. It seems that a lot of schools have pretty bad pre-law advisers. They should be replaced by TLSers.
Imagine if they all were on TLS - law school applications would drop 75% because they would tell half the kids to ED to UVA or wait 2 years and ED to NW/Retake

wildcats2008

New

Post by wildcats2008 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 am

and employment prospects would increase dramatically.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

notaznguy

Bronze

Post by notaznguy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:07 am

I'm still skeptical, but basically you guys are saying that having a total of 3 pass/no pass credits are acceptable and easily overlooked? And FWIW, the classes I would be taking them in are Spanish 2, Spanish 3, and Phy Sci 5, all of them are GEs that I need to take in order to graduate. None of them are relevant to my major or minor (which is History and Urban Planning)

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 pm

If you are so skeptical why don't you search TLS and find anecdotal evidence that says having a few pass/fail grades will doom your application :idea:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”