15 Days to accept scholarship? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
legendkiller

New

15 Days to accept scholarship?

Post by legendkiller » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:55 pm

A school just sent me an acceptance and a scholarship award--however, they want me to accept the scholarship offer within 15 days. What does this mean? If I accept the scholarship, is that binding at all?
thanks

HugerThanSoup

Bronze

Re: 15 Days to accept scholarship?

Post by HugerThanSoup » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 pm

It depends on what the letter accompanying the offer says.

legendkiller

New

Post by legendkiller » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:05 pm

"To accept this scholarship offer and continue to receive the scholarship, please take the following steps;

1. Email our Financial Aid Counselor, X within 15 days of the date of this letter at X (if you do not accept the offer within 15 days, we will withdraw the offer to allow us to support another student.)

2. Follow the directions in your acceptance letter and supporting documentation to accept your seat in the Class of 2014.

this help?

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Well, according to those steps in order to accept this scholarship you must reserve a seat in the class meaning you must pay deposits, which are semi-binding. The way it sounds is as if you've got 15 days to go that school WITH this scholarship. Otherwise you can still attend, but they'll release you from the scholarship.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:57 pm

I thought that (besides ED) it is against LSAC policy to make students choose before like March or April...?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:01 pm

they want you to decide how serious you are about going there. if you want to go there- then accept the scholarship. if you are unsure- then dont do anything. If you dont want to go to the school- decline and withdraw. They want to make sure that they will be giving money to studetns who will be attending.

baasically- if the school is not in your top 5 they want you to turn them down.

call the school if you are seriously considering attending. If the school was a safety- just kindly decline the offer and cross it off

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:43 am

pwyoung wrote:Well, according to those steps in order to accept this scholarship you must reserve a seat in the class meaning you must pay deposits, which are semi-binding. The way it sounds is as if you've got 15 days to go that school WITH this scholarship. Otherwise you can still attend, but they'll release you from the scholarship.
reading comp fail.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:43 am

gothamm wrote:
pwyoung wrote:Well, according to those steps in order to accept this scholarship you must reserve a seat in the class meaning you must pay deposits, which are semi-binding. The way it sounds is as if you've got 15 days to go that school WITH this scholarship. Otherwise you can still attend, but they'll release you from the scholarship.
reading comp fail.
how?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:14 pm

legendkiller wrote:A school just sent me an acceptance and a scholarship award--however, they want me to accept the scholarship offer within 15 days. What does this mean? If I accept the scholarship, is that binding at all?
thanks
Call the admissions office to find out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:27 pm

gothamm wrote:
reading comp fail.
Haha your own? Step #2 of accepting the scholarship offer is enrolling in the Class of 2014.

HugerThanSoup

Bronze

Post by HugerThanSoup » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:43 pm

ahduth wrote:
legendkiller wrote:A school just sent me an acceptance and a scholarship award--however, they want me to accept the scholarship offer within 15 days. What does this mean? If I accept the scholarship, is that binding at all?
thanks
That's your solution to everything, isn't it? Call the admissions office. Just give them a ring. Jeez.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:44 pm

txadv11 wrote:I thought that (besides ED) it is against LSAC policy to make students choose before like March or April...?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:46 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:I thought that (besides ED) it is against LSAC policy to make students choose before like March or April...?
QF inability to differentiate between holding an admissions spot open and holding a scholarship open.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:48 pm

MrKappus wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
QF inability to differentiate between holding an admissions spot open and holding a scholarship open.
I also think it applied to scholarships. I'm also pretty sure was more than just a single school policy.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:51 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
I also think it applied to scholarships. I'm also pretty sure was more than just a single school policy.
Oops.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:54 pm

HugerThanSoup wrote:
ahduth wrote:
thanks
That's your solution to everything, isn't it? Call the admissions office. Just give them a ring. Jeez.
Hell yeah. Most of the admissions offices are friendly and knowledgeable. I have some of their numbers programmed into my phone.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:58 pm

ahduth wrote:
HugerThanSoup wrote:
ahduth wrote:
thanks
Hell yeah. Most of the admissions offices are friendly and knowledgeable. I have some of their numbers programmed into my phone.
Just because your advice is good doesn't mean those offices don't have a nickname for you.

"____ is calling again."
"Super."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:59 pm

OP this is where I read it: http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp I don't know if LSAC's position means a damn thing, it doesn't appear that it does, but it is determined by the various law schools together so is probably what is standard at most schools. I think a school that doesn't follow the industry standard is pretty sketch so that is something to consider when you decide to accept or not.

The official position of the Law School Admission Council is:

Except under binding early decision plans, or for academic terms beginning in the spring or summer, no law school should require an enrollment commitment of any kind, binding or nonbinding, to an offer of admission or scholarship prior to April 1. Admitted applicants who have submitted a timely financial aid application should not be required to commit to enroll by having to make a nonrefundable financial commitment until notified of financial aid awards that are within the control of the law school.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:49 pm

AreJay711 wrote:OP this is where I read it: http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp I don't know if LSAC's position means a damn thing, it doesn't appear that it does, but it is determined by the various law schools together so is probably what is standard at most schools. I think a school that doesn't follow the industry standard is pretty sketch so that is something to consider when you decide to accept or not.

The official position of the Law School Admission Council is:

Except under binding early decision plans, or for academic terms beginning in the spring or summer, no law school should require an enrollment commitment of any kind, binding or nonbinding, to an offer of admission or scholarship prior to April 1. Admitted applicants who have submitted a timely financial aid application should not be required to commit to enroll by having to make a nonrefundable financial commitment until notified of financial aid awards that are within the control of the law school.
Seems pretty cut and dry to me. What school are we talking about here?

And yeah, I jest about the calling, but you really shouldn't hesitate to call them. They're not going to bitch you out or anything. At least if they want you to come to their school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”