Big Law Alternatives Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whitman

Silver

Big Law Alternatives

Post by whitman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Perhaps not the appropriate forum here, and I know it's been discussed before, but: who is in a career aside from big law, what do you do, and how do you like it? Who is going to law school for something other than big law? I'm interested in what else is out there. What PI jobs are really available and what the hours and pay and work like?

Also, how bad is big law? I'm seriously considering not going to law school because I have no real interest in slaving away for a big law firm doing unenjoyable work for massive amounts of time.

apl6783

Bronze

Re: Big Law Alternatives

Post by apl6783 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:44 pm

It's pretty hilarious to me that most of the people on this site are only vaguely aware of the fact that most lawyers don't work in large law firms.

Why would you want to work in a soul crushing prison? Money?

You can make big money at a small firm, just don't live in a cesspool like New York.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:44 pm

I work for a small family law firm as a paralegal. The atty I work for makes just around $100k/year and is in the office about 35 hours/week. She does do a lot of work at home, though never as much as she's supposed to do! Mainly collaborative law and table talk/mediation...not a lot of litigation. We do mediations for CPS as well, so all in all I think it's a good gig as long as you are the type to be able to put up w/ people's emotional shit. You really should have a master's in psychology or something to go into family law as you are part therapist part lawyer.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:41 pm

crit_racer wrote:I work for a small family law firm as a paralegal. The atty I work for makes just around $100k/year and is in the office about 35 hours/week. She does do a lot of work at home, though never as much as she's supposed to do! Mainly collaborative law and table talk/mediation...not a lot of litigation. We do mediations for CPS as well, so all in all I think it's a good gig as long as you are the type to be able to put up w/ people's emotional shit. You really should have a master's in psychology or something to go into family law as you are part therapist part lawyer.
This actually sounds really nice. How much experience do you need to get to that income level though? How much does it start at?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”