Who's applying to PIPS scholarship at AU? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ash8309

Bronze

Who's applying to PIPS scholarship at AU?

Post by ash8309 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:23 pm

I wonder if they didn't recieve enough applications and that's why they extended the deadline.

Curious to see how many of you out there are applying for it and what your PI/PS experience is like if you are. I plan to apply and am sending in the additional LOR. I have 4-5 years experience working for national and global security non-profits, and want to do the same with a law degree (or work for USG or an IGO).

Any others out there?

DeeCee

Silver

Re: Who's applying to PIPS scholarship at AU?

Post by DeeCee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:31 pm

ash8309 wrote:I wonder if they didn't recieve enough applications and that's why they extended the deadline.

Curious to see how many of you out there are applying for it and what your PI/PS experience is like if you are. I plan to apply and am sending in the additional LOR. I have 4-5 years experience working for national and global security non-profits, and want to do the same with a law degree (or work for USG or an IGO).

Any others out there?
I really want to apply, but I don't think my application is strong enough. I'm on the fence about it, mainly because my "public service" has been for my thesis and internships, and I really get the feeling they want someone who worked in public service, not someone whose academic work is public service.

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:04 pm

I wanted to but then I looked at the current PIPS scholars profiles on the AU website and got scared away. I suppose its worth it, but my job now is the antithesis of public interest and my previous work is alright but when I look at these profiles I feel blown away.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:44 am

I applied and submitted tonight. Anyone else?

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 am

DeeCee wrote:I applied and submitted tonight. Anyone else?
I submitted last week. I wonder when we will hear? Also, the thank you page said "Don't forget to send in additional documents," or something to that effect. I was going to call them today because I downloaded my application after I emailed it and it did not include my essay answers or resume...did yours?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pcvmeli

New

Post by pcvmeli » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:32 am

I applied before the January 15th deadline and was kind of disappointed to see they extended it. I am guessing it was due to lack of applications as well. I don't know how strong my application is, but I'll never know if I don't throw my hat in the ring. The profiles of current scholars are very strong! We'll see, best of luck to all the applicants.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:43 am

ash8309 wrote:
I submitted last week. I wonder when we will hear? Also, the thank you page said "Don't forget to send in additional documents," or something to that effect. I was going to call them today because I downloaded my application after I emailed it and it did not include my essay answers or resume...did yours?
Mine didn't include those docs either. If you call them could you post what they say about that?

Also, I wasn't going to apply at all because the current scholars make it look as if I had to save a third world country to even be considered. But, when they extended the deadline, I figured they didn't have a lot of applicants and if I didn't have a comparably competitive application then they still might give me a look, so I decided to apply.

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:47 pm

DeeCee wrote:
ash8309 wrote:
Mine didn't include those docs either. If you call them could you post what they say about that?

Also, I wasn't going to apply at all because the current scholars make it look as if I had to save a third world country to even be considered. But, when they extended the deadline, I figured they didn't have a lot of applicants and if I didn't have a comparably competitive application then they still might give me a look, so I decided to apply.
I applied a few weeks ago, we'll see what happens. We're supposed to be under review beginning in Feb.

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:43 am

I called Friday and today but got no answer. I'm pretty sure our docs went through even if they were not on the download-able application, but do want to confirm.

TLS says they give out 10 of these a year. I wonder how many apply? I wonder when we will hear or how many rounds there are?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:46 am

ash8309 wrote:I called Friday and today but got no answer. I'm pretty sure our docs went through even if they were not on the download-able application, but do want to confirm.

TLS says they give out 10 of these a year. I wonder how many apply? I wonder when we will hear or how many rounds there are?
They state in the PIPS FAQ pdf that about 350 apply, 200 are accepted for full time admission and can be considered for the scholarship, and then about 10 awards are given out a year. I have already been accepted so at least that's one hurdle I don't have to worry about.

Is everyone else here already accepted?

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:51 am

DeeCee wrote:
ash8309 wrote:I called Friday and today but got no answer. I'm pretty sure our docs went through even if they were not on the download-able application, but do want to confirm.

They state in the PIPS FAQ pdf that about 350 apply, 200 are accepted for full time admission and can be considered for the scholarship, and then about 10 awards are given out a year. I have already been accepted so at least that's one hurdle I don't have to worry about.

Is everyone else here already accepted?
Already accepted! Let's all post here if we hear anything.

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:55 am

I applied to both the public interest scholarships at Villanova and WCL. I'm still waiting to here from Villanova in regards to acceptance and already have been accepted to WCL. According to both sites, WCL awards 10 and Villanova awards "several". I think the WCL site said something along the lines of 300 apply and 10 get it which is scary, but this also doesnt include people who apply for the scholarship and either withdraw their apps, or are waitlisted/dinged. I received an email after they received it that stated:

"The scholarship committee will begin reviewing the scholarship applications of all admitted applicants in February. Applicants admitted to the JD program will be notified by email when their applications have been forwarded to the scholarship committee for review. Applicants who apply for the scholarship by the deadline will be notified of a scholarship decision before the April seat deposit deadline. If you are missing any required information, you will be notified by the Admissions Office."

...My guess is end of Feb/early March we'll get an idea?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:57 am

oreo3405 wrote:

I applied to both the public interest scholarships at Villanova and WCL. I'm still waiting to here from Villanova in regards to acceptance and already have been accepted to WCL. According to both sites, WCL awards 10 and Villanova awards "several". I think the WCL site said something along the lines of 300 apply and 10 get it which is scary, but this also doesnt include people who apply for the scholarship and either withdraw their apps, or are waitlisted/dinged. I received an email after they received it that stated:

"The scholarship committee will begin reviewing the scholarship applications of all admitted applicants in February. Applicants admitted to the JD program will be notified by email when their applications have been forwarded to the scholarship committee for review. Applicants who apply for the scholarship by the deadline will be notified of a scholarship decision before the April seat deposit deadline. If you are missing any required information, you will be notified by the Admissions Office."

...My guess is end of Feb/early March we'll get an idea?
That's wonderful that we'll hear before the seat deposit because the scholarship will really make or break my decision. I was already planning on paying two seat deposits so that I could stay in the running if decisions came late, but I'm glad this will not be the case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:58 am

Another question: If you DONT get this scholarship, will you be attending WCL??

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:00 am

oreo3405 wrote:Another question: If you DONT get this scholarship, will you be attending WCL??
My heart says yes-- I love what the school stands for. But, my wallet says no. If I get into UNC and I don't get the scholarship, I'll be going there. It would be only 17k a year for me there as I am in-state.

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:05 am

DeeCee wrote:
oreo3405 wrote:Another question: If you DONT get this scholarship, will you be attending WCL??
My heart says yes-- I love what the school stands for. But, my wallet says no. If I get into UNC and I don't get the scholarship, I'll be going there. It would be only 17k a year for me there as I am in-state.

You sound like me. I absolutely love American and the programs they offer plus I really love DC. I have a bit of a complicated situation because my fiance needs to find a job down there in order for us to move and for me to attend (if I get the scholarship we'd figure something out obviously). I live in Philadelphia, and am an Villanova Undergrad so if I got the scholarship at Villanova and not at American, then my question is answered.

I have NJ residency and qualify for instate tuition at Rutgers-Camden where I have been already accepted, but could also claim PA residency once I'm married since I've been living here year round for two years for Temple in-state if i get accepted. Oh, the complexities.

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:58 pm

DeeCee wrote:
It really depends on what other schools I get into. If I got into BC or BU, I would def lean on sticker there over sticker at AU. I also applied for BC and BU's PS/PI scholarships, but not sure I will be admitted into their JD program!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:00 am

Just talked to Admissions because I am doing a class visit/tour/info session over the next two weeks. I asked the person I spoke with about when PIPS decisions are made and she said typically in early March. Ah!

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 pm

Exciting!! Does anyone want to trade PIPS essays? I focused More on domestic issues that I've worked with and wanted To see what kind of pi work you all have done To see how I fair. Pm me if you want to trade :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”