Facebook? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crit_racer

Silver

Facebook?

Post by crit_racer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:30 pm

What's the consesus on Facebook? Does anyone think adcomms go to the trouble of checking an applicant's Facebook page? Have any of y'all deleted or minimized your accounts? Just curious b/c I know this one girl who temporarily deactivated her account for med school admissions.

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Re: Facebook?

Post by StillHerexxx » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:33 pm

Search. This has been discussed.

PhiloLogicGames

New

Post by PhiloLogicGames » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:38 pm

Might sound prudish, but if you're looking for acceptance anywhere, law school, employment, even a bloody social circle, you should be aware of your online presence. If you're profile is "friends of friends" and you've got pics of last week's drug-fueled pet orgy, you may want to tone it down.

As for a straight answer: Yes. Admissions will be taking the time to google and FB your existence. Your studies are an investment.

And if someone tells you otherwise, you may as well err with caution.

QuailMan

New

Post by QuailMan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:40 pm

PhiloLogicGames wrote:Might sound prudish, but if you're looking for acceptance anywhere, law school, employment, even a bloody social circle, you should be aware of your online presence. If you're profile is "friends of friends" and you've got pics of last week's drug-fueled pet orgy, you may want to tone it down.

As for a straight answer: Yes. Admissions will be taking the time to google and FB your existence. Your studies are an investment.

And if someone tells you otherwise, you may as well err with caution.
This.

Part of being a professional in the 21st century is being aware of and maintaining an online identitiy. Honestly, this is one of the main reasons I got back on facebook after being off for most of college. Basically what I did was create a profile and I anything I would put on a resume, I made public. Education and work history, a couple hobbies, an e-mail address, and a picture. My posts, friends, pictures all stays "private". The fact is whenever something is online, theres no real private and if somebody wants to find something to not like about you they will. But in 95% of cases, employers, addmissions officers or whoever just want to make sure you're a normal person. So thats what I give them, and I make it easy. Make someone dig and eventually they'll find something to not like, give them a lot up front and most people will stop there.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:23 pm

I can't see many admissions officers taking the time to check all of the applicants' facebooks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:28 pm

Pricer wrote:I can't see many admissions officers taking the time to check all of the applicants' facebooks.
I could see them looking at the facebook page of an admitted student, though. Especially schools like Yale, Stanford, and Chicago (small)

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:49 am

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:46 pm

I don't have anything bad or incriminating on my facebook. No pics of me even drinking I don't think. BUT, you know, there is some silly stuff on there. Not anything bad, but definitely not professional. My friends make stupid posts on my wall and stuff like that. I figure I'll leave most of it up and just take down anything that could be interpreted wrong (dark humor, etc).

Thanks for the search results...good info in that thread

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:08 pm

I can see them searching facebook, twitter, and other things if you are in consideration for a scholarship. Thats more of an investment on the school's behalf than just stimply admitting someone

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:09 am

I set pretty tight privacy limitations since I applied to law school. I don't think it is necessary to delete your account, but definitely make it private.

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:42 am

I've been deactivated for a while because i'm not a big fan of FB. but reading through that old thread i learned you can completely delete your account. just did that.

It's really simple though. Don't make yourself appear as an irresponsible dumbass on your FB and you should have no professional issues.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:17 am

My Facebook is not even close to my real name. Is this adequate?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”