June LSAT for fall entry at tier4? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
luckyme

Bronze

Re: June LSAT for fall entry at tier4?

Post by luckyme » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:32 am

How do I always miss these threads

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:42 am

BrownBears09 wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
gothamm wrote:
atresia wrote:If you want a chance at legal employment, don't attend a TTT/T4.
LOL.
Big Law sucks anyway. If you want a fun/interesting job, Starbucks is the perfect way to go, and attending a TTT/4 is an excellent strategy for getting there.
You're pretty condescending (and seem to have a lot of employment advice/hindsight) for a 0L. I hope you don't act like that IRL.
He also bangs hookers lol

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 am

Mike12188 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
niederbomb wrote: Big Law sucks anyway. If you want a fun/interesting job, Starbucks is the perfect way to go, and attending a TTT/4 is an excellent strategy for getting there.
You're pretty condescending (and seem to have a lot of employment advice/hindsight) for a 0L. I hope you don't act like that IRL.
He also bangs hookers lol
IRL. No but srsly.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:54 am

BrownBears09 wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
gothamm wrote:
LOL.
Big Law sucks anyway. If you want a fun/interesting job, Starbucks is the perfect way to go, and attending a TTT/4 is an excellent strategy for getting there.
It's not condescension. It's called tough love. If OP takes the TLS advice, he or she is almost certain to have a better life, whether that means studying for a decent LSAT score or pursuing other options outside of law.

I may not have first-hand experience yet with legal employment, but I do read the New York Times and browse lawschooltransparency.com. The OP should consult the famous NYT article and that website at the very least before entering into such a risky decision.

Seriously, people, if everyone boycotted T3's and T4's, the legal profession, would-be graduates of those schools, and society as a whole would be a lot better off.

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:07 am

SilverE2 wrote:
tmc07d wrote:Thats an odd answer because I actually know an attorney that attended cumberland in AL and is one of the best criminal defense attorneys in the entire US. So im pretty sure where you go to school doesnt completely reflect on your ability to be a good attorney, make money and ultimately lol...get a job.
I know you're the exception, but basing your belief in your ability to succeed on the success of ONE other person (when so many others fail) isn't a good idea.

Ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:46 am

gothamm wrote:
LOL.
Obvious hyperbole on my part, but OP and others should think long and hard before attending one if they want a good shot at a legal job. Just look at the statistics (and not the ones manipulated by those schools).

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:22 am

txadv11 wrote:
niederbomb wrote:T4's require the LSAT?

I've gotten a few emails from some that don't. Apply to those. :)

Enjoy your new career at McBig Law Burgers.

I call BS. All ABA accredited schools REQUIRE the LSAT. If you are trying to lump in the California unaccredited schools, they aren't ranked, so they aren't TTTT.
Northwestern.

I feel like my work is done here, before I've finished breakfast...

tmc07d

New

Post by tmc07d » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:45 pm

So if everyone is done arguing about my post. Is.their.a.chance.to.get.into.a.public.school.for.fall.if.I.get.a.good.LSAT.score.in.June...? lol

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:01 pm

niederbomb wrote:I may not have first-hand experience yet with legal employment or law school in general but I do browse internet forums.
FTFY baus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:09 pm

op; interpret the snarky comments as an elaborate way to say yes you can get into some schools( and you might have a chance) by taking the june test for the fall, but its not a wise idea.

If you score good enough on the june test to get into that special snowflake school in the fall 11, why dont you just wait an extra couple months, apply in the fall, and get into said snowflake factory school with possible scholarship money?

Dont rush this decision. Dont rush taking the LSAT.

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 am

tmc07d wrote:So if everyone is done arguing about my post. Is.their.a.chance.to.get.into.a.public.school.for.fall.if.I.get.a.good.LSAT.score.in.June...? lol
The problem with your question is that the answer is what you don't want to hear.

Can you get into a school for Fall 2011 with a June 2011 LSAT? It completely depends on the school. Does the school have a deadline that's late enough for the score to reported and your credentials to be sent in? Does the school have a deadline at all?

For example, Cooley has a Fall deadline of August 21st, 2011 (I'm ashamed that I added it to my LSAC school list to even check that). So, you could apply there. I think you could have figured this out yourself if you'd thought about it for a minute.

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:45 am

1evilo.aihpos

New

Post by 1evilo.aihpos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:10 am

tmc07d wrote:Thats an odd answer because I actually know an attorney that attended cumberland in AL and is one of the best criminal defense attorneys in the entire US. So im pretty sure where you go to school doesnt completely reflect on your ability to be a good attorney, make money and ultimately lol...get a job.
It is this kind of reasoning that is making you retake the LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:24 am

tmc07d wrote:If I retook my LSAT in June and had everything ready to be sent to law schools would I still have a chance to get in if I were applying at tier4 schools or would even they be filled up by then?
Alright, alright. Numbers. What did you get the first time.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:35 am

I would like the 3 mins it took to read this thread and the 30 seconds it is taking to post this reply back now.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:11 am

OP:

Yes it's entirely possible. But it's not a good move.

I was in a similar situation. I took the LSAT "blind" (I took the one free practice test they give you) in Feb. 2009 and got a 163. Then my wife convinced me I was rushing things too much and I should give this some thought. In May I called the University of Baltimore and asked if they had any seats left for a 2.9/163... they certainly did. I almost completed the application. I was thinking I'd go there, kick everyone's ass grade-wise, and transfer to a much better place.

I did some research, thought things over, noted that I had a decent (albeit dead-end) job in my field, and decided there was no reason to rush into UBalt asap. If I had gone through with my plan it would have been a disaster.

I retook the LSAT in October after some practice on logic games, but had severe bladder issues and "only" got 167. However, that (and applying *early* instead of late) was good enough to get me a 35k/year scholarship at a solid regional school if I really want to exchange prestige for lower debt. I also have two T1 acceptances and a T20 acceptance. I still have my job, which is credible work experience on my app/resume.

You are disadvantaged all around if you take the LSAT in June and beg some schools to take you that late. You will lose out on tens of thousands of dollars of scholarship money. You will lose out on going somewhere potentially more vibrant, enriching, and with better post graduate prospects.

If you want to attend a local regional school, please PLEASE at least study for the LSAT hard between now and June, do your best in June, and get a substantial scholarship for the FOLLOWING year.

One "exception" is Cooley. Cooley offers a 100% tuition scholarship to anyone with a 163 or better LSAT (--LinkRemoved--), and their application deadline for Fall 2011 is August 31st. So, if you want to practice in Michigan and start this fall, Cooley is actually your best bet (assuming you hit 163 in June). Whoever on here who said you're "Cooley bound" actually spoke some sense, though they were likely poking a little fun at you too.

Do some serious research before you make this choice, it's a HUGE life decision. Remember, you may "waste" the next year waiting to start law school. On the other hand, if you force yourself into whatever law school will take you, you're stuck with that choice for LIFE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”