. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Last edited by eaa1537 on Sun May 27, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckilaw

Silver

Re: Graduated Semester Early- What to do until the Fall??

Post by buckilaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Well there are two schools of thought. First, 1L is hell so you ought to enjoy free time while it lasts. Second, law school leads to soul crushing debt so any money you can earn before school begings in earnest will mitigate your debt; and be attractive to employers during OCI.

IMO, pick whichever rationale you agree with and go with it.

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:52 pm

buckilaw wrote:Well there are two schools of thought. First, 1L is hell so you ought to enjoy free time while it lasts. Second, law school leads to soul crushing debt so any money you can earn before school begings in earnest will mitigate your debt; and be attractive to employers during OCI.

IMO, pick whichever rationale you agree with and go with it.
That sounds reasonable enough. Go for it, man!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:06 pm

eaa1537 wrote:So I finished a semester earlier than anticipated and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should do for the next 8 months before law school starts. Ideally I would love to do nothing, or just travel and finally be able relax for longer than a 3 month summer vacation. But I'm worried that if I am wait listed at some schools that not doing anything will hurt my chances of getting off the wait list because I will have nothing meaningful to add to my application. Should I try to find a job or should I just live it up for 8 months lol??? Also if you think I should get a job- what kind of job? I feel like waiting tables or a sales job isn't something law schools care about. Thanksss in advance :D
Do you have money to live without working?

globallawyer

New

Post by globallawyer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:27 pm

I was in your exact position last year. I found a temp agency and ended up getting placed with a company in February that kept me until August. Take advantage of the break to make/save some money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Ive been in this position for the last month.. I have been unable to get anyone at all to hire me. I have had trouble even getting interviews b/c my resume makes it pretty clear I wont be around long. One of the companies I interned for has said they want me back but they have not given me a start date so Im thinking that isnt going to happen. At this point, I'm still applying places but basically hoping I can get a decent summer internship/job and make a few bucks.

How does one get involved with temp agencies?? Never thought of this possibility(have no experience with them)..

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:03 pm

Last edited by eaa1537 on Sun May 27, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:04 pm

globallawyer wrote:I was in your exact position last year. I found a temp agency and ended up getting placed with a company in February that kept me until August. Take advantage of the break to make/save some money.
Sorry for not posting this in my previous post I'm not sure how to double quote- but I'm also curious about temp agencies- is this something I can just look up online easily, or is this not advised because there are certain agencies that are more legit than others.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:08 pm

live life, work, and do some of the things that are on your bucket list

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:12 pm

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:16 pm

If you can support yourself for that time but want to do something productive, I would suggest contacting local legal aid agencies and non profits and tell them you'd like to volunteer. You won't have to commit all your time and it would be something good to add to your resume, especially if you are able to do it for an extended period of time.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:36 pm

Get a job. Can't get a job? Temp. Can't temp? You are a failure.

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:48 pm

I would apply and try to get a job anywhere you can. I graduated in december and right now I am working shitty retail, but it beats sitting on my ass being broke. I really wanted to work construction, but being it is winter in NY, that won't happen. I would basically find a job that doesn't mak you think a lot. Take a break for the first time in 16 or 17 years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 pm

i'm in a similar position as you except i just finished a job that is i guess you can say seasonal. i was planning to just chill, but a t14 school actually asked me what i was planning to do from now until law school starts :shock:

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Last edited by eaa1537 on Sun May 27, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Maybe it won't add anything to your resume, but it will put money in your pocket and bank account. That counts for something. Also, working helps regardless of what the job is. I think of it this way. My brother graduated with a finance degree and could not get a job for 6 months. He finally decided to pick up a job at Lowes. A month later he got a job at a bank. Then in another few months he got a steady job that actually pertains to finance. While this scenario is different, it helps to show that staying active is important. Even if you are mopping floors it shows that you are not being lazy and are willing to work. Crappy jobs build character. I cannot wait to go to law school, and I have only been suffering the torture of working a crappy job for a month and a half.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:56 pm

I am in a (semi) similar situation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”