Diversity Statement for overcoming Economic Challenges Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
niederbomb

Silver

Diversity Statement for overcoming Economic Challenges

Post by niederbomb » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:45 am

I am not URM. While my family isn't quite trailer trash, I do think my background is different than that of most of my peers with a similar GPA and LSAT score applying to T10 law schools.

Basically, my parents made under $15,000 a year for a family of 9 children, and we were even homeless for a year when I was 9. I spent most of my cognizant years on a farm in the boondocks, and I didn't even attend a real school before college, or even have any real friends outside my family until college.

I know DS's are usually reserved for URM's, but I'm wondering if there's any benefit for me including one as well since many law schools say to write one for "economic hardship."

I don't expect it to be a game changer, but I am 1 point below the LSAT median at Chicago and NYU (and significantly above their GPA medians), so having a small boost worth 1 LSAT point wouldn't be a bad thing.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Re: Diversity Statement for overcoming Economic Challenges

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:27 am

You should definitely write one. They are not reserved for URMs. There is much to be said about overcoming economic hardships.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:40 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:You should definitely write one. They are not reserved for URMs. There is much to be said about overcoming economic hardships.
How about if it's also the topic of my personal statement? Is it redundant then?

My parents gave me some of their past tax returns. Should I attach them as addenda to substantiate my claims?

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:02 pm

The way I understand it, the diversity statement is used to provide information about the diversity you bring to the university that may not be apparent in the rest of your application. If it's already elaborated on in your PS, it might be unnecessary.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:42 am

niederbomb wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:You should definitely write one. They are not reserved for URMs. There is much to be said about overcoming economic hardships.
How about if it's also the topic of my personal statement? Is it redundant then?

My parents gave me some of their past tax returns. Should I attach them as addenda to substantiate my claims?
I wouldn't attached extra documents unless it is asked. You should be writing an essay about how you overcame those economic challenges, not about proving you had them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:01 pm

pwyoung wrote:The way I understand it, the diversity statement is used to provide information about the diversity you bring to the university that may not be apparent in the rest of your application. If it's already elaborated on in your PS, it might be unnecessary.
Yeah, this is appropriate for a diversity statement. DS can be about a lot of stuff, I would definitely make clear how you overcame this background to kick some ass. It does a couple things: shows how you can diversify the backgrounds represented in their class (they don't want classes full of silver spoon snobs), and it shows how you're a grinder and can overcome long odds to do well.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:03 pm

If it's in your PS, don't write about it.

If you have nothing else to say other than "I was really, really poor and it sucked something awful," don't write it.

You need to be able to say something about yourself and not just about your situation and/or family (assuming it isn't in your PS).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”