Debate and Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Oracl3

New

Debate and Law School

Post by Oracl3 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:52 pm

Hey everyone,

Any other debaters on this forum? No one seems to appreciate the activity but debaters and law school admissions reps.

birdlaw117

Gold

Re: Debate and Law School

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:33 am

Oracl3 wrote:Hey everyone,

Any other debaters on this forum? No one seems to appreciate the activity but debaters and law school admissions reps.
Fix't
Last edited by birdlaw117 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:38 am

birdlaw117 wrote:

Any other debaters on this forum? No one seems to appreciate the activity but debaters and law school admissions reps.[/quote]
Fix't
lol.

Some of the debate styles are just so useless to real life skills that I have no idea why they exist. Others aren't so bad. Unless you made it really far in competition, no one is really going to care.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:43 am

2011Law wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Any other debaters on this forum? No one seems to appreciate the activity but debaters and law school admissions reps.[/quote]
Fix't
lol.

Some of the debate styles are just so useless to real life skills that I have no idea why they exist. Others aren't so bad. Unless you went toe-to-toe with the Ragin' Cajunmade it really far in competition, no one is really going to care.
Fix't again :mrgreen:

Oracl3

New

Post by Oracl3 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:33 pm

anyone?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm a debater. It really doesn't do much for admissions other than something to slap on there under "Extracurriculars".

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:53 pm

pwyoung wrote:I'm a debater. It really doesn't do much for admissions other than something to slap on there under "Extracurriculars".
This.

Oracl3

New

Post by Oracl3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:29 pm

any other debaters want to share their takes?

RelativeEase

New

Post by RelativeEase » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:35 pm

nb4 master debater

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Despite what most people on here will tell you, mentioning debate actually can help your application (assuming you have national awards and what not). Two admissions deans mentioned my debate achievements in handwritten notes on my acceptance letters.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 pm

RelativeEase wrote:nb4 master debater
NOOOOO I WAS GOING TO POST THIS!!!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
2011Law wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Fix't
lol.

Some of the debate styles are just so useless to real life skills that I have no idea why they exist. Others aren't so bad. Unless you went toe-to-toe with the Ragin' Cajunmade it really far in competition, no one is really going to care.
Fix't again :mrgreen:
the ragin' cajun had lunch with my debate team. we had pizza and soda, but he brought his own sandwich. the only ingredient appeared to be mayonnaise. he ate it vigorously while telling us that he was certain bloomberg was going to run for president in 2008.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:37 pm

Despite what most people on here will tell you, mentioning debate actually can help your application (assuming you have national awards and what not). Two admissions deans mentioned my debate achievements in handwritten notes on my acceptance letters.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but the way those things work is that they pick something from your resume/PS and put on the acceptance letter that they were "impressed". It's there to make you feel special and want to attend their school. It's not a commentary on their admissions process.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:20 am

nealric wrote:
Sorry to rain on your parade, but the way those things work is that they pick something from your resume/PS and put on the acceptance letter that they were "impressed". It's there to make you feel special and want to attend their school. It's not a commentary on their admissions process.
One of the schools I was talking about was a reach for me. LSP <25% chance, median LSAT, 0.4 below 25th GPA. Doesn't it seem like something other than numbers was at play in their decision, given my sub-par numbers for that school? Don't you think that the soft they picked from my resume to include in the handwritten note would probably be one of my best softs (the vast majority of applicants didn't get a note BTW)? I'm not saying that my debate experience alone was the reason for my acceptance, but it clearly caught the dean's eye.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:22 am

where did you debate/what type?

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 am

fatduck wrote:where did you debate/what type?
policy, national circuit and southeast region

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:28 am

EricBerry wrote:
fatduck wrote:where did you debate/what type?
policy, national circuit and southeast region
nice i debated policy for army but obviously nowhere near that level. emory?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 am

I debate on the webz

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 am

seriously, all law schools care about is making money. does debate help that? no. but your number do. take from that what you will.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:36 pm

mmmm i don't know. have you guys ever just met with a mass amount of people and just started debating? I mean it honestly feels pretty good to mass debate. Anyone else mass debating out there? I sometimes wonder if I should have told admissions officers about my mass debating efforts. I go pretty hard sometimes and well honestly it feels good to be at the climax of an event and just out all I got. Sometimes even just watching others mass debate was enough for me.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:43 pm

glitched wrote:mmmm i don't know. have you guys ever just met with a mass amount of people and just started debating? I mean it honestly feels pretty good to mass debate. Anyone else mass debating out there? I sometimes wonder if I should have told admissions officers about my mass debating efforts. I go pretty hard sometimes and well honestly it feels good to be at the climax of an event and just out all I got. Sometimes even just watching others mass debate was enough for me.
Wow. That post is full of so much win. I applaud you and your apparently epic mass debating sessions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Last edited by tea_drinker on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:07 am

to be fair, debate matters weirdly more at some schools (harvard and chicago in particular), and most adcoms know what the NDT is, but generally it's just another extracurricular. getting to triples of CEDA or whatever isn't going to mean a lot to them.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:41 am

I debated policy 4 years in high school. It was a lot of fun, and it taught me how to think critically and analyze arguments. I hoped to parlay all of this into attending a top-notch law school.

So I studied really hard for the LSAT and rocked it.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:56 pm

0LNewbie wrote:I debated policy 4 years in high school. It was a lot of fun, and it taught me how to think critically and analyze arguments. I hoped to parlay all of this into attending a top-notch law school.

So I studied really hard for the LSAT and rocked it.
Moral of the story: Fuck debate, study for the LSAT in the library. Alone. Because that actually will make a difference in your life.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”