Negotiating Scholarship--who to e-mail? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawskool

New

Negotiating Scholarship--who to e-mail?

Post by lawskool » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi all,

First time poster here, so I'm a little new to this. I'm just wondering if, when attempting to negotiate scholarship money, I should be e-mailing the dean, the admissions office, the financial aid office, or someone else?

Thank you.

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: Negotiating Scholarship--who to e-mail?

Post by tourdeforcex » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:16 pm

probably the dean or the admissions office. then if they aren't the right person, they'll forward it

second thought: e-mailing feels a little passive to me. it's pretty easy to ignore an e-mail. they've offered you something. and receiving 1 e-mail from another prospective student is not exactly the most convincing move. maybe call them? or e-mail and ask to set up a phone call with the appropriate person?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:18 pm

lawskool wrote:Hi all,

First time poster here, so I'm a little new to this. I'm just wondering if, when attempting to negotiate scholarship money, I should be e-mailing the dean, the admissions office, the financial aid office, or someone else?

Thank you.
I'd think you'd want the financial aid office, and email is fine.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Knock wrote:

Thank you.
I found emailing the admissions office and saying COA would be a significant factor in my decision helped to both get me in contact with the proper person and possibly get me an advocate in the admissions office.

At the same time, schools like George Mason assign a specific financial aid officer to admitted students when they receive their admissions packet.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:23 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Knock wrote:

Thank you.
I found emailing the admissions office and saying COA would be a significant factor in my decision helped to both get me in contact with the proper person and possibly get me an advocate in the admissions office.

At the same time, schools like George Mason assign a specific financial aid officer to admitted students when they receive their admissions packet.
Well take this advice over mine, since I was just guessing. I haven't done any negotiating yet.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”